Pre amp confusion.

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by amazingtrade, Dec 9, 2003.

1. amazingtrade

amazingtrade Mad Madchestoh fan

I've decided to use my Rotel RC870BX preamp now on my system as it was wasted downstairs and I will buy mum some music for christmas instead.

I have connected the Rotel preamp to my system using the tape outs on the Rotel and the AUX in on my PM6010OSE.

I then connected my turntbale and CD into the tuner input (as the CD input is faulty I was told). I find the phono stage on the Rotel a bit bold and lifeless so I have connected that back up to my Marantz.

However I prefer the sound of the CD now its connected to the Rotel. It used to be a bit bright but now its calmed down a bit but the detail is still there. What I don't understand is what is the Rotel doing? As there is no direct input on my Marantz the CD now must be going to two pre amps hence cuasing signal loss.

For this reason I am quite puzzled as of why it can sound better with the Rotel. Does a premap do more than just output the signal to a level the power amp can amplify?

Also could it be the fact I could the sound be different simple because of it now has two cables in the signal path?

I guess it must be somthing the Rotel is doing such as a filtering which is making it sound better. As I am righting this I a can also hear a tad more detail than before. I am slightly confused.

Basicly I have more detail and it dosn't sound as bright. It just seems more pleaserable and more musical but I have added an extra item in the signal path.. :confused:

amazingtrade, Dec 9, 2003
  2. amazingtrade

voodoo OdD

Maybe a 'gain' issue ?

voodoo, Dec 9, 2003
  3. amazingtrade

MartinC Trainee tea boy

I'm curious, what made you try this in the first place :confused: . As you say, putting a signal through an additional pre-amp stage isn't really going to be good for the signal is it?

If you're using tape outs on the Rotel then your CD signal is going to pass through very little of the pre-amp actually isn't it, but by the sounds of it whatever affect this has seems to be something you like. For a decent pre-amp you'd hope this degradation was very small though wouldn't you. I was wondering about Voodoo's suggestion of gain matching, but isn't the tape out going to be unity gain relative to the CD input?

Just my quick thoughts,

Martin

MartinC, Dec 9, 2003
  4. amazingtrade

Yeah the reason I am having to use the tape out is that my amp does not have pre-amp in. So there is no way of disabling the volume control of my marantz. If the output came from the main output then I would have to volume controls in the signal path. Also I would have to turn the preamp right up which may cause clipping I would expect.

I might just connect it back how it was but swap the cables. I am sure the preamp will come in handy as I have already run out of inputs on my marnatz.

5. amazingtrade

technobear Ursine Audiophile

Your Rotel is surely doing nothing other than acting as a fancy switch box between the line inputs and the tape output.

Why not sell the Rotel and the Marantz and just buy an amp that has enough inputs (oddly Marantz amps usually have plenty - how about a PM7200).

technobear, Dec 9, 2003
  6. amazingtrade

I think what is doing it is the extreme in interconnect cables. One is an Ixos somthing (it is one that is known to be very bright) and the other Profigold somthing is known to be quite dull so they are both canceling each other out. The extra detail is probably just me imagination. I think I need a new interconnect as it must be my Ixos causing the brightness.

The Marantz has 6 inputs, all six inputs are currently used as I have a Turntbale, CD player, Nicam VCR, DVD Player, computer. So I can always keep the Rotel for when I need more inputs. It will be much better quality than a richers switch box.

Its highly likely that I will be getting another source soon such as digital TV.

I bought the Rotel preamp thinking my mums preamp had a fualt on her amp but it turned out to be the turntable.

I will make sure I find a good use for the Rotel anyway.

7. amazingtrade

julian2002 Muper Soderator

at,
    welcome to the wonderful, whacky world of hi-fi. a lot of people have said and will say that the signal is being degraded by 2 pre amps, sets of interconnects and all those extra connections. this doesn;t change the fact that you prefer the sound. if you can live with what you have then do so if not then and only then change it. but above all trust your ears (luke).

cheers

julian

julian2002, Dec 9, 2003
Ask a Question