Pre amps

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by MickyP, Nov 3, 2013.

1. MickyP

MickyP

Any recommendations? On a modded Meridian 101 with separate power supply. Ballsy, smooth, musical but not massively detailed. Partnering Quad 909 monoblocs.

MickyP, Nov 3, 2013
  2. MickyP

RobHolt Moderator

The Meridian is excellent but 40 years old, so make sure it's working properly.
    Iconic styling and a good phono section should you need it.

If I had 909s I'd likely be running it with a matching Quad pre - 99 series or Elite.

RobHolt, Nov 3, 2013
  3. MickyP

MickyP

Meridian's working fine at mo, just thinking about things down the road!

Read somewhere that the 99 pre amp uses a Quadlink to connect CD (and another) inputs, Quad monoblocs don't have these. So... I presume I can connect to an aux and have the aux inputs the same circuitry tlc as the CD input proper?

MickyP, Nov 4, 2013
  4. MickyP

RobHolt Moderator

You don't have to use Quadlink. Just connect using the RCA phono connectors.

Phono unbalanced is perfectly ok for home use - balanced connection can bring some modest technical improvement but not at the levels you'll notice in a home system.

RobHolt, Nov 4, 2013
  5. MickyP

MickyP

Okes. They seem rare as hens' teeth mind (assuming I can't afford a new Elite).

Any views on Cyrus pre amps? Or I am digging a deeper hole for myself? Couple on fleabay.

MickyP, Nov 4, 2013
Ask a Question