pre for Quad II's

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by dudywoxer, Oct 9, 2005.

1. dudywoxer

dudywoxer Regaholic

I have just had a pair of Quad II's rebuilt, and at the moment am using a old rotel pre amp with them. What Pre would you suggest to partner the quads, new or used, up to say ?600
    ________
    Asian Webcams

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 18, 2011
    dudywoxer, Oct 9, 2005
  2. dudywoxer

la toilette Downright stupid

Hi,
    I used a Croft valve preamp with my Quads; the Croft 'Integrated' pre. It sounded great (now gone along with the Quads).
    It's an old model but decent quality and had a nice phono stage.....occasionally found 2nd hand on ebay for £150-£200. I have heard that other Quad II owners have used other Croft models with good results also.

Here's a Croft pre on ebay at the mo':

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Croft-Epoch-E...oryZ3280QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Bit more expensive than mine was but still within your budget!

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 9, 2005
    la toilette, Oct 9, 2005
  3. dudywoxer

SCIDB Moderator

Hi,

I can backup 'La toilette' recommendation as well. I picked up some Quad II with a Croft Vitale a few years ago. It worked together very well. Well worth looking out for.

SCIDB

SCIDB, Oct 9, 2005
  4. dudywoxer

ianb

Hi,

I've not heard Quad IIs with a Croft preamp so can't say much about that. But I did have Quad IIs for many years, and to my ears they worked best with something really transparent sounding - they have a lovely warm clear mid range which doesn't take kindly to any muddiness in the preamp. My best results were with solid state preamps.

I know you're looking for advice, not offers of items for sale, but as it happens (ahem!) I have a very transparent solid state preamp on eBay at the moment, which I suspect might work well. No self-interest here at all. (!) I don't know where you are but if you were interested you'd be welcome to hear it (in Glasgow).

Ian

PS the link is http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5817069684&rd=1&sspagename=STRK:MESE:IT&rd=1

ianb, Oct 10, 2005
Ask a Question