PRE/Power connection advice

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Snoo, Jul 16, 2010.

1. Snoo

Snoo

Wow this place has changed since I was last here!] :eek:

Can anyone here answer a question regarding my 8000S/ 8000P combo?

I have a need to connect a second pre-amp source into my 8000P. This is for my music studio and would like to send the pre-amp output to my audiolab hi-fi rather than my powered monitor speakers (so I can switch from listening with my monitors to listening through my Hi-Fi for A/B comparisons).

If I connect the pre-amp output of my studio mixer to the POWER AMP IN of the 8000S and switch the mode to PRE POWER AV will the volume control on my mixer then be able to send it's signal to the 8000P to play through my regular Hi-Fi speakers?

The only other option I can think of is putting a phono switch box in before my power amp and connecting the 2 pre-amps via this.

Here is the 8000S Manual for ref:http://www.audiolab.co.uk/downloads/service/8000S/Brochure/8000S_11.pdf

Cheers

Snoo, Jul 16, 2010
  2. Snoo

RobHolt Moderator

I'll have a better look at the manuals later, but can you take a fixed line out from the desk into one of the aux inputs on the 8000S?

RobHolt, Jul 16, 2010
  3. Snoo

Snoo

Sadly the mixer (Alesis IO26) doesn't have a fixed line-level output. Otherwise I'd be sorted!

Snoo, Jul 16, 2010
  4. Snoo

RobHolt Moderator

Just a look at the manual.

In AV mode it seems the internal pre-power link is broken and whatever you feed to 'power amp in' goes direct to the power amp.

So the answer in yes, you can feed it via your desk and use the desk volume control.
    Just be careful as the sensitivity of the Audiolab might not be optimal for the desk - make sure the volume on the desk is set to minimum when you power up!

RobHolt, Jul 16, 2010
  5. Snoo

Tenson Moderator

Do you have an 'Insert' connection on the mixers main output channels? This is a line level out and return. Just don't use the return.

Tenson, Jul 16, 2010
  6. Snoo

Snoo

Many thanks for the advice, chaps.

Snoo, Jul 19, 2010
  7. Snoo

danworth81 english through n through

U can control the volume of any setup as long as the volume control u are using doesnt have a fixed line level/volume output unit after it in the chain

danworth81, Jul 20, 2010
Ask a Question