Pre -> Power IC's ?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by penance, Feb 19, 2004.

1. penance

penance Arrogant Cock

never ending aint it;)

Need another IC to sit between pre and power.
    Im thinking DPA Blackslink, but not readily available now (one on epay, but zero feedback for seller)
    I already have a Blackslink, but that is on CDp duty and i would like to keep it there.
    So any other idea's on a nice transparent IC that will get the bottom end in touch?

penance, Feb 19, 2004
  2. penance

garyi Wish I had a Large Member

This is the bit I just do not get.

I thought this power amp you have got is the dogs danglies, but by this post you are implying you arn't happy with it at all.

Perhaps its just a big old PA eh? ;)

garyi, Feb 19, 2004
  3. penance

Mr.C

What sort of price range you looking at here penance?

Mr.C, Feb 19, 2004
  4. penance

eagle

I use VDH 102 MKIII between the RB1090 and RC971. It works well 4 me.

eagle, Feb 19, 2004
  5. penance

penance Arrogant Cock

garyi
    go and re-read my other thread, then you will see
    basically it is great with the DPA in place between pre and power, but i also like that on CDp. So i have a MF cable doing it at the mo, this is giving rounded lows. So you can see i have tried the DPA and it works, but i only have one.
    Just cause it says Rotel dont make it a PA:rolleyes:

Mr.C
    Around £100 at the mo, longer i wait more ill save:)

penance, Feb 19, 2004
  6. penance

Mr.C

Best cables I've heard (at any price) is by a little known company called Experience Filtration. Their entry level IC is £200 for 0.6m pair, £250 for 1m pair. Bit more than your budget though...

Mr.C, Feb 19, 2004
  7. penance

penance Arrogant Cock

maybe something at the Bristol show....

penance, Feb 19, 2004
  8. penance

Sid and Coke

I've tried all manner of budget I/C's between my RC-1070 and RB-1070 , can't honestly say i've noticed any major difference between any of them. In fact i haven't actually got a clue whats connecting then together at the moment, :eek: .

Sid and Coke, Feb 19, 2004
  9. penance

penance Arrogant Cock

Sid, do you notice any loosness to the bass?

i am sure this is an IC issue as with the DPA it tightened up nicely

penance, Feb 19, 2004
  10. penance

Steven Toy

Garyi,

You run an all-Naim system that thrives on its own freebie interconnects, and a while back you got rather B & T having wasted 300 quid on an Anthem interconnect that would obviously make bugger-all improvement in your system for the money.

Steven Toy, Feb 20, 2004
  11. penance

MO! MOnkey`ead!

Listen! For the last time, I like my kit, but that doesn't mean I have any kind of sexual fixation with the brand!

MO!, Feb 20, 2004
  12. penance

flash Two ears: two channels

VdH and Experience

I'm also v happy with my Van den Hul D102 MkIII's, between Arcam A85 and P85. Huge improvement over Audioquest Topaz (or something like that) which my "previously cherished" kit came with.

My ProAc Studio 125s need careful partnering, as the positioning is not ideal, in order to tame the bass. The VdHs made a huge difference, much tighter.

Not sure about Experience Filtration. I had a recommendation for their mains cables via private message on the What Hifi website, visited the EF website and sent an email asking for independent reviews. Got a phonecall saying "will send you something but probably best to talk as well". I did not follow up and nothing arrived. The website was down for quiter a time afterwards. It all seemed a little odd.

My mind had already been just about made up by recommendations here and elsewhere re Eupen or LAT, but I was open to new suggestions. I also fancied playing detective: am I the only person who gets suspicious about the possible connection between someone who recommends a product via private message only and the product has been the subject of no independent review?

I'm sure Mr C has no connection with the company and Experience Filtration are a legitimate outfit, but if I had a top notch product then I'd be keenly focused on getting objective reviews to back up my claims.

Good luck.

flash, Feb 20, 2004
  13. penance

Mr.C

As I understand it flash, EF is currently undergoing almost a complete change to its product line up, which may explain why the website is 'coming soon', and perhaps why no info was sent as it would have become obsolete very quickly. This shouldn't reflect on their product quality though (although it inevitably will to those who haven't heard their stuff), which is first rate.

Edit: There was a small review (though I hesitate to call any review 'objective') in HiFi+ as part of a group test, issue 22 I think - the one with the yellow Wilson speaker on the cover.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 20, 2004
    Mr.C, Feb 20, 2004
  14. penance

Lt Cdr Data om

What about trying some of those brothers slivler ones on ebay, can't go wrong for that price?

if you are handy, why not maplins own pure silver cable, 20-30 made.

got a pre to drive the rotel yet? 3 choices, passive, transistor ( discrete or chips) or tube.

I think the rotel can do balanced in so why not a balanced out pre?

EAR 834 for a valve has a variant with XLRs, and it is GOOD. Can't go wrong with ATC, hififor sale had one for 350 quid a few months back, nearly got it myself.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 20, 2004
    Lt Cdr Data, Feb 20, 2004
  15. penance

lowrider Live music is surround

Penance,

We can get you DPA blackslink here in Portugal, 107 euros for a pair 75 cms terminated with WBT midline, Michael could take them to the UK... :rolleyes:

lowrider, Feb 21, 2004
  16. penance

penance Arrogant Cock

thanks Mr Lowrider,
    Thats a good price aswell:)

penance, Feb 21, 2004
  17. penance

lowrider Live music is surround

You can ask me or Michaelab if you decide you want them... :MILD:

lowrider, Feb 21, 2004
  18. penance

penance Arrogant Cock

Thanks,

If i dont find anything at the show i will probably get one.
    Wont be for a week or 2 tho

:)

penance, Feb 21, 2004
  19. penance

Sid and Coke

Hmm, I've been pondering on how to answer this one for a while and can't really give you a definative answer. I don't actually know how my bass would shape up compared to others, whether my bass is loose, tight, deep, shallow, good or crap to be honest. It's just my bass and I kinda like it.
    I use Mission 782 speakers which are a bit of a swine to position correctly, mostly because of their driver layout i suspect. i have tuned them up using various different methods and they produce a sound that I have got used to and i quite like, others may well find that they sound awful though. As we know sound is a very personal and subjective thing. After i had posted earlier i still didn't have any urge to have a look behind and see which I/C's i'm using and still haven't ( honestly ). I really have never noticed any noticable differences when i have switched I/C's and so just went for the ones that fitted the best :) given the limited space behind my Hi-Fi rack.

(2 mins later )
    OK then, I just took a glance and am using a pair of Monster Audio Interlink 400's, o.75m . IIRC i think they are about 10 years old and i bought them because of the Fancy techno babble that Monster used in their adverts and packaging a few years ago. ( i just loved all of the pretty pictures showing the exploded view of all the multi conductor layouts, materials and di-electrics :eek:) I was also in America at the time and they were dirt cheap , compared to the UK price. I'm slightly more cynical regarding cables these days , but don't mind trying something if it is reasonable priced , i like cheap shiny toys :D. The fact that they are a few years old now and have been connected and un-connected, probably hundreds of times now, speaks volumes for their quality of materials and workmanship. I've heard of some folk who have boken their fancy bullet plugs whilst fitting/removing them for the very first time !!

When i said that i never noticed any difference to the sound when switching cables i was being very honest, i wish i could hear night and day differences like a lot of people can as it is an area that would easily suck in an easily pleased person (such as me) in , it just doesn't happen anymore though.

Thats all i can think to say really, not very helpful i know but i've tried to be honest as i can.

Sid and Coke, Feb 22, 2004
Ask a Question