pre power or int (again)

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by muffinman, Jul 7, 2004.

1. muffinman

muffinman

i recently bought a michell orbe to replace my gyro se. even though it was an ac model i found it sluggish compared to the gyro. luckily the deck had a couple of faults so i could send it back and consider my lucky escape. because i'm only human the upgrade itch still needs to be scratched. i am very happy with my mid and treble, PRaT is really quite good, however there is a muddying in the lowest bass notes. i know that now i only have a vinyl front end that production values play a huge part in this. there are a number of upgrades available all of which seem to offer a geat or at least noticeable improvement. i would love to hear some views on the possible best route to take.:
    hr NC psu for my dc motor
    platter upgrade for the deck
    quality int amp to replace my cyrus aca7.5 + apa7's (kimber hero i/c)
    the amps i have my eye on are sim audio moon5i, bel canto evo2i, krell 400ix.
    obviously i could only afford any of these ex dem. also do ANY ints have decent phono stages? i only ask as i am happy with my dino+ but selling it would help with the upgrade

cheers

muffinman, Jul 7, 2004
  2. muffinman

michaelab desafinado

I don't know if those amps mentioned have a phone stage at all, never mind a decent one. I know virtually nothing about TTs (I don't have one) so consequently know little about phono stages but it's my impression that few if any integrateds have a decent one.

Of the amps mentioned, I compared the Sim i5 against the Krell KAV-400xi and preferred the Sim. The Krell was very impressive and had unbelievable bass but in the end it just didn't communicate as well as the Sim. The BelCanto was also on my shortlist but I never got to hear one. However, if the BelCanto power amps I've heard are anything to go by it's a cracking amp.

In the end, as you might know, I went for a passive pre and built my own digital amp but I think either of those three amps in your list should be a big improvement over your Cyrus setup.

Michael.

michaelab, Jul 7, 2004
  3. muffinman

sideshowbob Trisha

Upgrade the PSU, and then the platter. Both are extremely worthwhile IME, and relatively cheap too. If I can hear the difference then it's a large difference. Source first still rules when it comes to turntables. Then look at your arm (what arm do you have btw?)

You're unlikely to find an integrated or pre for sensible money that will have an onboard phono stage as good as the Dino+ either.

-- Ian

sideshowbob, Jul 7, 2004
  4. muffinman

muffinman

originlive silver 250 with a benz micro mc silver
    i know the platter is an improvement on bass depth and surface noise
    what sort of improvement should i expect with the HR NC?
    i may be able to dem a psu in my own system which will be a huge bonus.
    the need for an int. has caught me quite by suprise actually as i had always thought that pre power was the way ahead

muffinman, Jul 7, 2004
  5. muffinman

sideshowbob Trisha

I have the VC PSU on my DC Gyro, haven't heard the newer HR PSU, but the VC gives (obviously) rock-solid speed stability, and it also seems to give the sound far more body and texture. Why this should be I don't know, but you should definitely try one if you can get a demo. I bought my Gyro secondhand with the Orbe platter already in place, so I can't tell you if that upgrade has as big an effect, but general opinion seems to be that a PSU upgrade for just about any TT is a very worthwhile use of some cash. Certainly a lot cheaper than the amp options you're considering!

-- Ian

sideshowbob, Jul 7, 2004
  6. muffinman

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

Id only add that factory direct prices will give you large discounts if you'll consider factory seconds (that look like new).

Its about 2 hour drive to Borehamwood from Norwich.

Chris

NB

I'd go for a meaty power amp, but theres a whopping difference in price.

a non-perfect orbe platter cost me about 90ish if I remember correctly.

Chris

bottleneck, Jul 7, 2004
Ask a Question