Preamp/Headphone amp...

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Haselsh1, Jan 15, 2009.

1. Haselsh1

Haselsh1 Shaun H

Does anyone out there know anything about the Shanling PH-300 preamp/headphone amp...??? I'm in need of a preamp and one with headphones would be a bonus. OK, this device is Chinese and my previous experience of Chinese was an absolute disaster but someone out there must know something.

Haselsh1, Jan 15, 2009
  2. Haselsh1

white-socks

Sorry I'm changing the subject. I see your after some TDL Studio 0.5 speakers. Good luck on your search for them. They are RARE!!!!!!

I have a pair of TDL Studio 0.75M speakers (Which I think are better then the 0.5). They are the best loudspeakers I have ever had. Their midrange and bass is to die for.

I don't know how old my TDL's are, maybe from the early 90's??

white-socks, Jan 15, 2009
  3. Haselsh1

Haselsh1 Shaun H

I demo'd a pair of Studio 1's in 1998 so your's could be anything up to then I guess. I preferred the 0.5's because for me they gave the most balanced sound. The Studio 1's were just too bass heavy and far too bloody big.

Haselsh1, Jan 15, 2009
  4. Haselsh1

white-socks

My TDL 0.75M speakers are compact floorstanding speakers. They will look tiny standing next to the TDL studio 1.

And also there is the TDL Studio 1M speakers. Which is the upper model to the O.75M speakers.

The ''M'' means metal drivers. Later TDL speakers were upgraded to these drivers for the midrange.

One day I will love to hear the TDL Reference standard speakers.

I'm sorry, but I like transmission line speakers.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 15, 2009
  5. Haselsh1

Haselsh1 Shaun H

Hey, transmission line speakers are also my favourite types ever since I bought a pair of IMF Super Compacts back in 1979. I only sold them to buy a pair of QLN Mk1's in 1983.

Moving to the subject of the thread, I cannot use the Shanling PH300 as it's output impendance is 47k and the input impendance of my power amp is 15k. This makes it incompatible.

Haselsh1, Jan 15, 2009
  6. Haselsh1

Corruption

I've never used one, but based on recommendations (from users and hi-fi press) I believe the Sugden Headmaster from their Bijou line is supposed to be a superior piece of kit. Also there's a Stello pre-amp with a separate headphone amp that has got good reviews.

Not sure if these fulfill your criteria or budget though....

Corruption, Jan 15, 2009
  7. Haselsh1

dreftar

I use a little dot 11+ a find that it is a very good piece of kit. I have had many hours of musical enjoyment with it. I have only used it as a headphone amp with my AKG 701s

dreftar, Jan 15, 2009
  8. Haselsh1

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

Hi Haselsh

The TDL 0.5's are a TL 2 way with a 6" bass cone.

If you like that, I have a pair of TL 3 ways with a 10", vifa mid-range dome and Morel tweeter.

They are for sale in the classifieds.

In terms of power handling, frequency range, neutrality and dynamics I would expect them to spank the TDL's. They may however be too large for you, or alternatively beyond your budget etc.

Just thought I'd mention, ebay is coming when I finally get 20 minutes..

All the best
    Cheers
    Chris

bottleneck, Jan 15, 2009
  9. Haselsh1

white-socks

Haselsh,

If I was you, I would look out for a pair of TDL Studio 0.75M speakers. They are very rare, but sometimes come up in ebay every once in a while.

OR!! Even better, the Studio 1M's. They are the above model of the 0.75M's.

Just keep looking on ebay. Or maybe put a wanted sign in Audio Phile Candy.com

Good luck on your hunt.

Ask a Question