Preamp info required

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Colin2040, Aug 27, 2008.

1. Colin2040

Colin2040

I am currently putting together a second or alternative system,I want an active preamp requirements are detailed clean sound with remote a good phono stage would be a bonus.Two are three are up for audition all second hand,Bryston BP25, Rotel Michi, and Clasee. Can anyone tell me about the Rotel I can find no info about them and , no reviews etc.Build looks fab and it was a cost no object sort of amp. So any help appreciated or other suggestion s, oh and its going with a Lyngdorf.

Colin2040, Aug 27, 2008
  2. Colin2040

Corruption

I don't know much about the Rotel Michi, but Midland Audio Exchange has one on offer at the moment for not a lot, might be worth the investment just to see what it's like?

Corruption, Aug 27, 2008
  3. Colin2040

Colin2040

They come up quite often but I have no experience of them but also need suggestions for opossible others I should add to my list.

Colin2040, Aug 27, 2008
  4. Colin2040

D Louth 77

Hi Colin2040

The Rotel Michi ,in its day about 15 years ago was a stunning bit of kit . I loved the red wood ends and the fabulous look of the metal work and the feel of the controls . However it is a very old design and you should try to hear before you buy . The michi phono stage was excellent ,even by todays standards and if i was offered one at the right money i would buy one with out thinking much about it , but the pre . I would want to hear it again to be able to rank it against more modern designs . depends on how much it is going for and what condition its in .

Imho ,if i remember correctly ,the michi has a more musical sound than the more analytical approach of the Classe and Bryston . But you may prefer that sound instead of the Michi.

Try and get a listen to them,before buying. Unless they are very cheap and yopu can minimise any loss if you don't like the sound in your set up.

Regards D Louth.

D Louth 77, Sep 1, 2008
  5. Colin2040

Colin2040

thanks D Louth you have confirmed my view, would rather have analytical to a certain degree anyway, wondered if you have any experience of Musical Fidelity stuff,,pre amps anyway.

Colin2040, Sep 1, 2008
  6. Colin2040

shrink

if you want analytical clean and detailed, you could do a lot worse than an audiolab 8000Q, its flexible, and incredibly well made, with decent components. You could pick up one for next to nothing.

They also work with a wire range of power amps, has something to do with low output impedance or something.

shrink, Sep 2, 2008
  7. Colin2040

Colin2040

Thanks Shrink I'll keep a look out for them, not one that I have considered to be honest. I quite fancied a Brystion as I wanted if possible to have the option of a built in phono and the Bryston is supposed to be very good.

Colin2040, Sep 2, 2008
  8. Colin2040

john dolan

The audiolab 8000q is a good pre but lacks a phono stage.The audiolab 8000c has a very good mm and mc phono stage but lacks the remote control of the q.The audiolabs will work with a wide range of power amps but they do sound a tad clinical and a little grey.What is the power amp you will be using colin and whats your budget.

john dolan, Sep 2, 2008
  9. Colin2040

john dolan

john dolan, Sep 2, 2008
  10. Colin2040

Colin2040

Its going with a Lyndorf sda2175 I think thats the number,currently have a Dynavector phono and to be honest I justy want to "tidy" things up and have a simpler system.Thought about rehousing my hifi collective passive but would have to add on a remote hence bigger housing.Remote would be good phono better.Budget depends on me selling my other power amp hifi collective 300b,but I havent committed to that yet.

Colin2040, Sep 2, 2008
  11. Colin2040

Colin2040

Maybe I'll sell a kidney and by the spectral on the classified page??!!

Colin2040, Sep 2, 2008
  12. Colin2040

john dolan

I would rather sell a kidney than a hifi collective 300b.My brother has one and he uses the world audio design pre and phono which is a wonderful match that makes a great sounding combo.The wad has no remote control but seeing as you can diy or did nick build the 300b ? i dont think you will get better pre or phono without spending silly money.

john dolan, Sep 2, 2008
  13. Colin2040

D Louth 77

Hi Colin2040

I don't have any direct experience with MF pre amps . But the modern MF sound ,based on hearing their KW,A5 intergrated amps is very up front and ultra detailed . Dosn't quite tip into being hard and nasty but i did prefer the older sound ,around about Nu-Vista and Tri -Vista period . Modern MF is just to lacking in ,that hard to define term Musicality IMHO . Its just to solid state ,which is ironic considering they use small valves in the signal chain . Ever since this power fetish and vanishing levels of distortion became the design goal i have not heard an MF item i could live with IMHO. Except perhaps the new X Dac . I have a collection of past DACs the X 24/hdcd,3.24 and the Tri-Vista all very good (though not as good as MF claim. BEST IN WORLD etc)

I have not heard the KW pre or power but i suspect that the current MF sound is here but ,more so.

You really need to hear this stuff .You may not agree with me or any one elses idea of how to describe the sound if you hear these for your self . And yet you might . I think that it would be interesting for posters to say whether they agree with how sound characteristics are described . What do you think?

Regards D Louth

D Louth 77, Sep 2, 2008
  14. Colin2040

Colin2040

Problem I appear to have but not had a chance to check yet is that the passive when cranked up seems to well run out of steam with the Lyngdorf.It just doesnt seem to get any louder at a certain point or its very much diminishing returns.but to be fair I havent had an opportunity to crank it up and check properly.Maybe if Iget in sharp tomorrow I can do it before child in bed. I love the 300b its really great probably the best amp I have ever had but I really want something that is fit and forget and concentrate on the music rather than the kit.Plus it heats the room upp too much.I have been really impressed with the Lyngdorf actually not too analytical I had a fear it would be really SS sounding if you know what I mean but its detailed but warmer almost valve like.If I can get a reasonable pre I may keep the 300b but to be honest it will probably go.

Colin2040, Sep 2, 2008
  15. Colin2040

D Louth 77

Hi Colin

Sounds like you need an active pre ,not enough gain from your passive .This can be an issue with low power valve amps and speakers that just need a we bit more power . I suspect that modern recordings give you more gain than old ones or vinyl.

Regards D Louth

D Louth 77, Sep 4, 2008
  16. Colin2040

defride

Had an MF A5 pre. Dem'd it with the new Audiolab Ms and compared it to the Q. It blew the Q away, different league IMO. Just opened out the music letting you hear much more of what was going on. I bought it and an A5 Pwr after the demo and was very pleased. I've always run SS amps and didn't feel they were over analytical. As compared to the Audiolabs I'd been runnig they were far more natural and convincing. Well worth a demo (especially given the silly money you can pick up a new one for now!).

defride, Sep 6, 2008
  17. Colin2040

Colin2040

Thanks it was the A5 that I have been looking at some great deals on new just now and it does all I want.Need to shift my power amp first.Other benefit is I use a MF cd and remote would work both

Colin2040, Sep 6, 2008
  18. Colin2040

Colin2040

Anybody of Zerogain tried the YS Audio amplifiers(pre) or any of their products?

Colin2040, Sep 10, 2008
  19. Colin2040

Audiowitt

Be careful with audiolab

Hi@all,
    my advice on the audiolabs is to be very careful, the component quality these days is absolutely shocking. I bought a set of 8000q+p a while ago and made the mistake of auditioning 2006 models which actually were all fine. The 2008 8000Q I got is totally crappy when it comes to controls, switches, feet. The P8000 hums like hairdryer (inside the cabinet, not from the speakers).
    I am now fighting with myself and other gear to find replacements: none so far sound better, all feel better.
    IAG are f...ing up the good old audiolabs...

Audiowitt, Nov 28, 2008
Ask a Question