Preamp upgrade.

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by white-socks, Apr 15, 2009.

1. white-socks

white-socks

Hi,

I am thinking about upgrading to another preamp. At the moment I am using my father's Conrad Johnson P14 preamp, the Conrad goes very well with the NAD. I don't know why?? But this combo sings very well on my TDL speakers.

I am thinking about getting a Rotel Michi RHC-10 passive preamp. My father use to have the big Michi power amp with the passive pre. It was a very nice sounding combo, but very gentle and neutral sounding . But I liked it.

Will the Michi pre amp go OK with the NAD? The NAD C272 is a warm powerful sounding power amp.

I like Rotel

Any help welcome.

white-socks, Apr 15, 2009
  2. white-socks

RobHolt Moderator

Shane, a passive would probably work fine so long as you use short, low capacitance cables. The NAD has input impedance of 20k ohms in parallel with 500pf capacitance and while the former is fine, you don't want to be adding to the latter with cable capacitance.

The CJ pre amp is well regarded so I doubt you'll get any benefit really and you might introduce other problems by going passive.

RobHolt, Apr 15, 2009
  3. white-socks

white-socks

Hiya Rob,

I use Nordost Red Dawn interconects. They are 1M long. They are great cables for the money.

white-socks, Apr 16, 2009
  4. white-socks

white-socks

NVA Or TVC

Been looking at the NVA P90 Passive Pre-amp with Built in Phono Stage. And also the TVC Promitheus preamp. But I don't think there is a TVC Promitheus preamp with built in phono stage??

I'm sure a passive pre will go OK with my NAD? The NAD has a gain vol on the back.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2009
    white-socks, Apr 16, 2009
Ask a Question