Pretentious Hifi Pants...

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by I-S, Sep 2, 2004.

1. I-S

BlueMax

Slightly off topic.
    Most of you must have CDs lying around that haven't been played for a long time and are unlikely to played again.

Why not drop them in at your local Oxfam shop?
    A bargain buy for someone and the money will go to places like Sudan.

BlueMax, Sep 4, 2004
  2. I-S

garyi Wish I had a Large Member

Na, sorry I look at my music as a library, sometimes I have made howling mistakes, but its a library and people like different thing, I am always hopeful I will have something someone wants to hear.

Oxfam take the mick now most of their records start at a fiver, and I dread to think how much of the charity money goes to all there fancy store furniture and administration. Na not Oxfam

garyi, Sep 4, 2004
  3. I-S

GundamSD Big Robot Fanatic

Lilolee - that's the best avatar I've seen for ages. It is really disgusting. But in a good way. It's a bit 'Jacob's Ladder'ish.

Gary - We all have some shocking CD's in our collections. These are all relegated to the very bottom corners of our CD shelves. Far out of view...

Oxfam aren't that bad. Most of their records are in fact still under a fiver! In Glasgow anyway... Bought Joni Michell 'Blue', Ry Cooder 'Bop Till You Drop', Sting 'Nothing Like the Sun', Prince 'Purple Rain', Steely Dan, 'Gold'. All for £3 each (except Joni Michell which was £4). Bargains!

GundamSD, Sep 4, 2004
  4. I-S

BlueMax

OXFAM sell CDs from as little as £1. Most of the store furniture at Oxfam come from old stuff shop fitters remove.

Oxfam has to pay rent and rates like everyone else but staff who work at Oxfam shops are volunteers and don't get paid. Oxfam is very transparent organisation and their accounts are avialable to anyone; in much greater detail than companies quoted at LSE.

And while you are there pick up some FairTrade chocolates and coffee. Top quality stuff. Great value for money even if you don't want to help the unfortunate.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 4, 2004
    BlueMax, Sep 4, 2004
  5. I-S

LiloLee Blah, Blah, Blah.........

For some of the cd's I've seen mentioned on here, Oxfam would have to pay me to have them :)

LiloLee, Sep 4, 2004
  6. I-S

BlueMax

Competing for free CDs with Oxfam then? :rolleyes:

BlueMax, Sep 4, 2004
  7. I-S

I-S Good Evening.... Infidel

Lee - PM me your address.

I-S, Sep 4, 2004
  8. I-S

dunkyboy

Wow, hey, it worked! Okay, anyone other than Isaac who doesn't want theirs, I'll take it! Unless the issue is a good one in which case I might want to buy it anyway... Anything of note in the mag this month?

Dunc

dunkyboy, Sep 5, 2004
  9. I-S

Zoomer

dunkyboy,

tbh i dont really think i'm going to listen to it again so you can have mine if you want.

Zoomer, Sep 5, 2004
  10. I-S

lordsummit moderate mod

Had a quick listen to it today. It seems to be full of the stuff dealers use at dems to make their systems sound good. Very little music of any great note. Might be good for a dinner party I suppose

lordsummit, Sep 5, 2004
  11. I-S

I-S Good Evening.... Infidel

Lee- now you've got this disc, what's your view?

I-S, Oct 6, 2004
  12. I-S

dunkyboy

Zoomer,

Sorry, completely forgot about this thread, but if you're still up for it I wouldn't mind taking it off your hands...

Dunc

dunkyboy, Oct 6, 2004
  13. I-S

Saab

well being a Barb Junor fan i liked it.The Linn one wa much better,although the latest one is great for creating an Islington dinner oarty feel to impress friends.Although my friends wouldn't be impressed with that at all.

Saab, Oct 6, 2004
  14. I-S

LiloLee Blah, Blah, Blah.........

I can really see where you guys are coming from with this cd.

If each track was taken individually you may have a different view. However a whole cd of tunes with little or no pace to them does lead to Yawnsville.

I must state I am a big fan of Jim Lampi (one of the tracks) he plays the Chapman Stick (a kind of multi string hybrid of bass and guitar as mainly seen with Tony Levin) and he must be seen to be believed. The Mike Lindrup track is the softess on his album and again there are some better tracks.

Over all I feel who ever selected this compliation could have done a better job to get you guys to buy some Naim cd's. I do own about 10 Naim cd's and do feel they themselves need to try and rock it up a bit.

LiloLee, Oct 6, 2004
Ask a Question