Priorities!

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Soloist, May 21, 2009.

1. Soloist

Soloist In my lonely furrow

Dear Forum,

A quick update:

My Arcam Delta 90.2 has now been replaced by my Bow Wazoo XL (don't look at the meaning of 'Wazoo' on the Urban Dictionary please!)

I will take posession of a Systemdek IIX later today (Linn Basik Plus arm), having become fascinated by the possibilities of playing vinyl through some decent kit (by my standards!) (Bearing in mind my outgoing deck is a Technics SL3).

I have a Pro-Ject Phono Box II but I think its is (as my mother would say) a bit of a 'pea on a drum'. Now, bearing in mind the possible limitations of the TT and arm, do I concentrate the fiscal efforts on a decent cartridge or a better phono. I suspect the answer will be the phono but as I am such a green stick, I thought I'd better just check.

Overall, I am enjoying the vast leap forward in sound with Mrs Soloist, who is amazed at the quantum leap forward in sound. She had taken some convincing that there is sense in spending reasonable chunks of money on sound reproduction.

What do you think? Phono or cart? Budget is around £350

Regards to all.

Last edited by a moderator: May 21, 2009
    Soloist, May 21, 2009
  2. Soloist

Samantha

If it hasn't arrived yet, why not wait to see if you are happy with it first before planning to change? (Assuming it has a cartridge, you don't mention that)

I got my TT with a cheap but reasonable cartridge (Grado Prestige Gold - circa £70 IIRC) and phono stage was the Cambridge £60 jobby.
    I have been loving the sound and although I can appreciate it perhaps would benefit from a better cartridge, I have instead spent my funds on lots of records.
    Although I have now been banned from buying more until I have sold some of my 'excess' records off.

Samantha, May 21, 2009
  3. Soloist

dudywoxer Regaholic

Thats a bit off, tell him to get the garage empty so you have room for more vinyl, or buy a shed or something:D
    ________
    SWEET_RASPBERRY

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 18, 2011
    dudywoxer, May 21, 2009
  4. Soloist

Samantha,

Yes, there is a cart - its a Linn Basik. Likely to need replacing, to quote the vendor.

SPending money on music rather than kit is a good point, not lost on Mrs Soloist.

Soloist, May 21, 2009
  5. Soloist

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

Hi Soloist.

I was 'blown away' when I went from my previous integrated phono stage to an EAR 834P about 8 years ago. The difference was VAST.

In comparison, a £600 Ortofohn cartridge I recently had is only marginally different to the £200 cartridge I use now.

I don't know what cartridge you have now... if it's total dross, my budget would be

£120 cart
    £300 phono stage.

I've put a bit more to get you to second hand 834p territory, and because your project box is worth something.

Seriously, carts wear out every couple of years - a good phono stage will live with you, and makes 'more' of a difference IME.

bottleneck, May 21, 2009
  6. Soloist

Samantha

Lol - that would be a tad unfair of me ...... I have my car in one garage, he has temporary use of the other while he fixes up a car, but then my other car belongs in there ....... I'm into cars too ya see.

Plus I did buy a rather large collection (filled a jag estate car completely) and was supposed to go through to see what I am keeping, what I am selling on - and the selling was to fund future 'new to me' :D

Solosist - I have nothing against buying new kit - just seemed a tad soon to be upgrading before you've even heard it as it is yet.

For the record (pun intended) my cheap cartridge is still in use, the cheap phono stage has however been replaced by a valve stage, one my friend built for me for my birthday.

Samantha, May 22, 2009
  7. Soloist

What a lovely present! something completely wanted AND hand-made too.

Sadly, all I could think of last Christmas was hankies and socks. Must be getting old! not quite ready for the Werther's Originals yet though...

I know you have seen my other posting - so you will know I have heeded your advice.

Soloist, May 22, 2009
  8. Soloist

Noel Winters

Hi Soloist.
    Just my own opinion you could try the Densen Phono amp . I had one and it sounded good .Got the trade in bug and moved on or up. For a Cartridge the Denon R103 or
    the standard 103 have heard said best cart. under 1000 bucks
    Aust. money. Might do better in the Mother Country
    Noel W.

Noel Winters, May 27, 2009
Ask a Question