Prisoners to get mobiles!

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by T-bone Sanchez, May 10, 2005.

1. T-bone Sanchez

T-bone Sanchez

One of our customers is in the prison service, the latest thing to go through is the right to have a mobile phone, a human right is the claim. Complete madness.

T-bone Sanchez, May 10, 2005
  2. T-bone Sanchez

mr cat Member of the month

that is madness...pure madness...

mr cat, May 10, 2005
  3. T-bone Sanchez

ilockyer rockin' in the free world

They should be allowed the right to fry their brains if they so choose.

As for the having or not having the phones, let them have a mobile phone, just stop them having a sim card.

ilockyer, May 10, 2005
  4. T-bone Sanchez

domfjbrown live & breathe psy-trance

Oh great - so not content with giving lazy baby-making machines free-everything, prisioners now have cushty rights too? FFS - get real. BLOODY PINKOS. What the FUDGE do crims need phones for? Oh yeah - arranging more crime. Dur - how stupid of me.

domfjbrown, May 11, 2005
  5. T-bone Sanchez

T-bone Sanchez

Exactly, he was saying that some have phones now which are smuggled in to use for drops. It works by going to the yard at play-time, ringing to let the person know where they are and then the drugs are thrown over the wall. Sounds too simple? 500 inmates out at the same time, two wardens watching over them by the time they get there, thats if theyve seen it happen, anyone could have picked them up.

T-bone Sanchez, May 11, 2005
  6. T-bone Sanchez

I-S Good Evening.... Infidel

Bloody stupid, just like giving prisoners the right to vote. Human rights? I think a lot of rights are what you give up when you are convicted of a crime. That's called punishment and it's why people are prisoners.

I-S, May 11, 2005
  7. T-bone Sanchez

johnhunt recidivist

if society wants people to behave like civilised human beings then it helps if people are treated like civilised human beings.

when you are banged up you are deprived of your liberty.You might well lose your house, relationship, job and if you are a woman, your children. You might be abused within prison and try to kill yourself.

This is more that adequate retribution against those that offend. What , aside of tickling the fancys of zealots, would be achieved by making the system more onerous and less constructive.

I also wonder if any of those calling for even more draconian measures against prisoners have even the first idea of experiencing the system as it is. Most people associated with the prison system, who either don't have a political agenda or other reasons for treating people like cattle, would like to see liberalisation of the regime. What is the good of locking people up for 18 hours at a time when that time could be spent improving the people in the system so they can pick up the riegns when they come out and don't reoffend. As you can imagine i'm all for prisoner's being able to vote. As for mobile phones, why not? People can use land lines in prison so where's the big jump.

johnhunt, May 11, 2005
  8. T-bone Sanchez

Spare the bleeding hearts routine PUHLEASE. It's only valid for people wrongly convicted, and/or mentally insane (so they didn't know what they did was wrong). If you can't do the time, don't do the crime.

Why should a crim have more rights than someone who can't afford a phone? Why shouldn't a crim have deplorable living conditions if they've done something deplorable? Obviously, the prison accommodation should fit the crime, so, for example, a corporate thief could have reasonable accommodation, but a rapist, pedder-ass or muderer doesn't deserve dignity or respect or cushty accommodation - where was the respect for their victim(s)???

I'm not sure if you've been a victim of crime or not, but I have (mugged and burgled; one of my best uni mates was raped), and I tell you this, it's not fun. As far as I'm concerned, your "rights" go out of the window the minute you cross the line from law to lawless.

You get what you deserve in this life - eventually.

EDIT - you can't use a landline in a prison to tell your dealer mate where to throw the drugs over (see earlier posts). Plus it's easier to monitor landlines.

domfjbrown, May 12, 2005
  9. T-bone Sanchez

exactly - if the owner of the mobile can't be traced, then who's to say that the crim wouldn't harass their victim etc, organise more crimes etc,etc...

mr cat, May 12, 2005
  10. T-bone Sanchez

julian2002 Muper Soderator

crimes should be graded and the criminal given a score. if the criminal is a repeat offender then the scores should accumulate.
    below a certain threshold you are helped to try and reintegrate you into society.
    above this and below another threshold you should be punished. the law against cruel and unusual punishment should be rescinded and the punishment should fit the crime.
    above the last threshold you should be given 6 moths to find another country to live in and if you don;t you should be set adrift in a small rubber dingy in the north sea.
    just my opinion.
    cheers

julian

julian2002, May 12, 2005
  11. T-bone Sanchez

T-bone Sanchez

Would there not be a risk of the dingy coming back on the tides??

Sorry John, as much as I admire your humanity but I cant agree. Prison is no punishment these days, Ive met quite a few convicts who claim that prison is an education. One in particular went in for credit card fraud in the late 80's and is now retired on his sun seeker in the med enjoying his millions. He told me that gettting sent down was the best thing to happen to him, taught him everthing he needed to know.

T-bone Sanchez, May 12, 2005
  12. T-bone Sanchez

yeah, what is the idea behind prison sentences - is it to rehabilitate offenders, or mearly to keep them off the streets and therefore stop them from committing crimes..?

mr cat, May 12, 2005
  13. T-bone Sanchez

Maybe they should take John Cooper Clarke's advice and bring back 'anging, fer everyone. Well, rapists and murderers and pedder-asses anyway. The best way of reintegrating low life scum like that into society is to shove their corpses into the ingress chute at a power plant like Drax, thus putting some good back into society, rather than scum. Sorry if that offends. Being burgled and mugged, and seeing the aftermath of rapes certainly makes you a hard ass to this sort of stuff.

domfjbrown, May 12, 2005
  14. T-bone Sanchez

Lt Cdr Data om

good idea Julian, common sense at last.

I too sympathise with John's humanity but have become hardened of late due to being taken advantage of. I agree with Dom, too, some parts of society are totally hardened and inhuman, and these types just don't give a shit what they do to others. You have to take these types out of society. They are neanderthals, monkeys.

too many rights in this country. too many do gooders.

Prison serves a no of purposes....punishment, rehab, justice, keeping them off the streets.

its not just one thing.

What gets me is you have to pay to keep em banged up when they have committed heinous crimes.

i am undecided on capital, but

1/they shoudlnt' be let out after 7 yrs for killing,

2/it seems crazy to keep them banged up for 70 yrs at expense, esp. if they are not a national.

3/ cops who kill get off lightly, time for this to change, they are murderers. they should not be immune...period.

Last edited by a moderator: May 13, 2005
    Lt Cdr Data, May 13, 2005
  15. T-bone Sanchez

This is tricky - I'm not THAT serious about hanging/power station fuel, and I realise the death penalty has MAJOR flaws (Timothy Evans etc etc), but I too also agree that if you kill someone, getting 7 years is taking the pee.

One of my (then!) best mates at school got into drugs. Now, I can't say a word about that - until you get to his level of them - i.e. Heroin. He murdered a man using a pillow to suffocate them. Now bear in mind this mate is totally blind, and high on H. He got 7 years, but I'd assume he'd end up doing a LOT more since he won't tow the line inside. He got off on the old "diminished responsibility" thing. Bollocks. He injected the H - he's guilty. He should have got life (or capital punishment), since the fact he was able to run from police for a few months after committing the act, while totally blind, shows he's obviously got cunning and could be BIG TIME dangerous if he needed a fix.

If he IS out now - I hope to GOD the prison system turned him around, but my guess is he now knows more about drugs and crime and how to get away with them then before he went inside. That's NOT what prison should be for!

domfjbrown, May 16, 2005
Ask a Question