Pro studio cables

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by pauldixonuk, Apr 2, 2005.

1. pauldixonuk

pauldixonuk pmc & bryston

I have just learn't from another forum member that you can use proper studio cables in your home systems. Seems there is a very high level of performance to pound ratio, due to the lack of hype and marketing, which is always welcome. I'll probably ditch my nordorst hifi stuff, and give these shielded pro wires a go, especially as the rest of my system will be pro gear from start to finish. Always good to remove another layer of magic dust.

These studio cables look pretty chunky, so I think the white colour option would help to hide them in my lounge (running from pre to active atc's):

http://www.canare.com/files/Cat11_p50.pdf

Any one else have any good links, tips, reviews, advice?.........

http://www.mogamicable.com/

http://www.belden.com/

http://www.canare.com/

pauldixonuk, Apr 2, 2005
  2. pauldixonuk

mosfet

Get yourself a copy of the new 2005 Studio Spares catalogue paul. (free)
    www.studiospares.com

My interconnects are made from Klotz unbalanced studio cable with Neutrik phono plugs and sound as good as any pretty hi-fi interconnect.

mosfet, Apr 2, 2005
  3. pauldixonuk

themadhippy seen it done it smokin it

themadhippy, Apr 2, 2005
  4. pauldixonuk

Thanks guys. I've ordered one :D

I'm very interested if anyone can recommend any links for pro studio magazines, forums or other suppliers. Thanks a lot.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 2, 2005
    pauldixonuk, Apr 2, 2005
  5. pauldixonuk

mosfet

6. pauldixonuk

wadia-miester Mighty Rearranger

You should also consider Sommer (German Studio) cables better than the above cheaper too, they sound ok too.

wadia-miester, Apr 2, 2005
  7. pauldixonuk

I-S Good Evening.... Infidel

At the budget end, Gotham cables, terminated by Deltron are available at decent prices from farnell. I use the AES/EBU cables.

I-S, Apr 2, 2005
  8. pauldixonuk

Thanks for the leads, lol. I'm happy to spend some decent money, if there is a clear market leader out there. So far Sommer looks like the top dog...

pauldixonuk, Apr 2, 2005
  9. pauldixonuk

mosfet

There's no market leaders as such paul – at least not in the same sense as hi-fi interconnects.

This because the absurdities and fallacies espoused for hi-fi cables don't exist within 'pro' markets. Frankly hi-fi cable 'wisdoms' are laughed at.

Look for an unbalanced patch or instrument cable from the manufacturers' suggested – Klotz, Sommer, Europa – and spend the rest on some high quality phono plugs. Spending a little more on plugs will pay dividends as the mechanical performance of the plug is important. Neutrik profi at about £10 / pair would be a good choice.

mosfet, Apr 2, 2005
  10. pauldixonuk

wadia-miester Mighty Rearranger

Richard, preaching again? consider the oppotunity of a lifetime approaching soon in Italy you should avail yourself.

Richard you should be doing an ABX on the pro stuff that way you conclusively confirm they all sound the same.Personally I would consider Sommer, sounded different in a more pleasing way to these ears, even picked out in a double test :)
    Have absolutley no connection with Sommer either

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 2, 2005
    wadia-miester, Apr 2, 2005
  11. pauldixonuk

mosfet

“Preaching again†Tony?

I don't think Rome would be too keen on a papal atheist, but all other 'believers' I suppose could apply ;)

(without raking up all the usual arguments!) :D

mosfet, Apr 2, 2005
  12. pauldixonuk

chris1968

intersting one chaps!
    having mooched around a couple of the sites above i find it intersting, to say the least, that none of them appear to offer anything that even looks esoteric and pricey.
    if this is the stuff the studios are wired in why whould one need anything else to reproduce the sound?!?
    even more intersting given we are about to move and i dont the think the current QED SA will be long enough.......

chris1968, Apr 5, 2005
  13. pauldixonuk

Anex Thermionic

That seems somewhat flawed logic, better cables IN THEORY!! (don't start! :D ) degrade the signals less so the further down the chain you are (hifi is at the bottom) the more you need to preserve what you have. IF the studio cables have degraded the signal then you've already lost bits before the signal has got anywhere near your reproduction equipment.

Anex, Apr 5, 2005
  14. pauldixonuk

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

I use Canare speaker cable Paul.

Id happily swap it for another highly reputable brand if the need ever arose.. for example needing a longer length.

After much initial cable changing, I stick to box changing and music changing these days :)

bottleneck, Apr 5, 2005
  15. pauldixonuk

jonjin

Well said. Same with isolation doodahs.

JJ

jonjin, Apr 5, 2005
  16. pauldixonuk

chris1968

anex - see you point, however, even my minimal upgrading has revealed that there is more detail on the disk than i had prevously experienced, therefore i would suggest that the cables noted above (assumiong they are used throughout the studio) have done a more than adequate job in capturing the details, why not offer as much in terms of retrieving it??

It seems the devil is in dragging the information off the disk and into / out of the speakers. Guess i'm now going off on a tangent cos i have to ask how, after so much time working with CD, heck take it back to vinyl, does it take (cost) so much to retrieve and reproduce that detail?

chris1968, Apr 6, 2005
Ask a Question