Proacs - are they sh*t?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Spike, Mar 25, 2004.

1. Spike

Spike

Seem to have the rep as an old guy's speaker. All Bovril & slippers.
    O yeah, they only motor on valve amps too apparently, useless on solid state.
    Nice woodwork though:eek:

Whats the story? Will they get off their chuffs'n'fly on a Naim 250??

Whaddya reckon guys

Spike, Mar 25, 2004
  2. Spike

Robbo

Utter bollocks!

Try a pair of Response 1SCs on a Nap 250 and come back and tell us what you think.

A while back at a get together, a few of us heard a pair of 1SCs on the back of a 250 Naim system and the sound was fast, funky and fun.

Robbo, Mar 25, 2004
  3. Spike

Mark67

I think to say they are S**** is possibly a bit mean, I would say over rated would be a fairer word.

I heard a pair of the 1sc's on the back of a Musical Fidelty CDP/Pre/Power and found them rather 'shut in' and boring.

I also heard them on the back of a Tagmclaren Pre/Dac/CDT and a Belcanto Power amp and I found them just so uninvolving I couldn't belive they where £1200 - £500 yes.

Again it's all down to choice. But for me the Proac 1sc's are an over rated speaker.

Mark67, Mar 25, 2004
  4. Spike

Joolsburger

I had D15s for a week or two and I liked them but they are not the most forward sounding boxes tis true.

I found hey were great for downtempo and Jazz but not so hot when excitement was called for, hence the nickname Prozac maybe???

Joolsburger, Mar 25, 2004
  5. Spike

MartinC Trainee tea boy

I've heard three pairs of Pro-acs, one as home demo and two at shows, and I've always found the bass a little full, and overpowering/tiring after a while, although this may be because the rooms I've heard them in have been too small. That they aren't the brightest of speakers is a blessing with many components though, and I still think they're a very worthwhile speaker company who I'd definitely consider auditioning if buying new speakers. Saying all Pro-acs are sh*t is clearly unreasonable, just as if I were to say all Mission speakers were sh*t, despite my own personal tastes :)

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 26, 2004
    MartinC, Mar 25, 2004
  6. Spike

wadia-miester Mighty Rearranger

I've own one pair of Proac's the responce 3.8's, awesome bass, but totally over powered the room, which was too small :D But damn fine speakers, when matched to a suitable room.
    I've also heard the D15's and agree with Jules (although like the shearwaters need an inordinarly long time to break in).
    Robbo's 1 sc's are rather good, sweet and detailed and do pretty decent bass for the spec's, very open too (even before recapping), just goes to show how much room and equipment has a say in the final sound :)

wadia-miester, Mar 25, 2004
Ask a Question