Problem with Pioneer CD player and turntable

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by ReligionIsArt, Jun 17, 2007.

1. ReligionIsArt

ReligionIsArt ReligionIsArt

Hi - With several teenagers away at Uni, I'm short of techies. Can anyone help?

I have a Pioneer 'Stereo TWIN CD cassette deck amplifier', around 17 years old. The CD player part stopped working a few weeks ago. It seems to think it hasn't a disc in when it has. I tried lots of CDs but none would work. I tried a CD cleaning disc, but it won't work either. Cassettes can still be played, and so can the radio (F-Z93L). The turntable (PL-Z93) continued to work for a week or so, after the CD player gave up - but now it won't work either.

I'd be glad of any advice at all - though I hope it's not to buy a new Hi-Fi, as I can't afford one at present.

ReligionIsArt, Jun 17, 2007
  2. ReligionIsArt

Effem Cable manufacturer

After 17 years the CD player has had a damn good innings to be honest ;) Sounds like the laser unit has expired in which case it would be cost effective to kiss the whole unit goodbye rather than attempt an expensive repair.

The turntable problem I don't think is linked to your CD issues

Effem, Jun 17, 2007
  3. ReligionIsArt

Tenson Moderator

Is it all one unit or are they separate?

If the amplifier is separate from the rest you could just get a replacement CD player from eBay. That sort of thing is pretty affordable ~£30 for a reasonable Pioneer/Marantz/Sony player.

Tenson, Jun 17, 2007
  4. ReligionIsArt

rick

17 years old?
    its done very well to last that long.
    from past experience i would think the laser has given up and retired. a new laser for a player that old and the fitting charge on top would doubtless cost more than a new player.
    im afraid its looking like a coppering up session is needed.
    as for the turn table, is it belt or direct drive?
    if direct then i dont know where to start but if its belt, check the belt is attached and ok.

rick, Jun 17, 2007
  5. ReligionIsArt

ReligionIsArt ReligionIsArt

Thanks for your replies. The CD player, amplifier and cassette player are all one unit. Do you think it would be possible to get a separate CD player and attach it, so that the existing amplifier and cassette player carry on working, the existing CD section just sits there unused and the replacement takes over?

I looked at the turntable - it does have a belt, which is very loose, so perhaps it needs to be replaced?

ReligionIsArt, Jun 17, 2007
  6. ReligionIsArt

Tenson Moderator

Hi,

If the turntable spins then the belt is not why that doesn't work. If it doesn't spin, then the loose belt may well be the issue with that.

As for the CD player, if you can look on the back of the system and find an 'aux' input connector or some such then you could quite likely connect another CD player. It might have a different name from Aux, like 'Video', 'Tuner' or something.

Tenson, Jun 17, 2007
  7. ReligionIsArt

Lynn SkeptiK

Crikey, 17 years for a CD player is amazing...3 of mine only lasted a year apiece.

Lynn SkeptiK, Jun 20, 2007
  8. ReligionIsArt

Effem Cable manufacturer

Do you have a spare set of input sockets on the back and a selector switch position that says either "AUX" or "TAPE"? If so, you should be able to connect an external CD player

Effem, Jun 20, 2007
  9. ReligionIsArt

rodrat

Many of the pioneer seperate cd players play the disc upside down. I have no idea whether yours does but its worth trying.

Rod

rodrat, Jun 21, 2007
Ask a Question