Project RPM 9 vs Roksan Radius 5

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by clintonf, Nov 5, 2004.

1. clintonf

clintonf

Hi All, I've got a bit of a problem. I hope one or more of you kind souls can offer me some advice (and sympathy).

Last night my daughter accidently snapped the stylus off my Kontrapunkt B on my Project RPM 9.

My question is simple:

Do I buy a new stylus/cartridge for the RPM 9 or pick up an X-Dem Radius 5 for the same price as the Kontrapunkt and sell the RMP 9.

I'm starting to get serious with vinyl so I'd like comments from people who have preferably heard the RPM 9 and the Radius 5 and could compare the sound.

Thanks all

Clint

clintonf, Nov 5, 2004
  2. clintonf

johnhunt recidivist

sounds like you needa wall shelf

johnhunt, Nov 5, 2004
  3. clintonf

clintonf

Thanks John, but it was a pure accident. It could have been me. She's old enough to know what she was doing (15 yrs) and she was playing records for us to listen to. So, I don't think a shelf would have avoided what happened.

Any thoughts on whether the Roksan should sound better than the Project or vice versa?

Thanks

Clint

clintonf, Nov 5, 2004
  4. clintonf

adam

I think it would be a sideways move,plus you'd still need a new cartridge,if you really want to go up ,why not look at the Rega P7/dynavector,or a Notts analouge spacedeck/arm.

adam, Nov 5, 2004
  5. clintonf

clintonf

Thanks Adam, I was speaking to a guy from The Emporium in London and he suggested that I should sell the RMP 9 and go for the Origin Live Aurora with a modded Rega RB300 and a Shure MM cartridge (can't remember the model).

What do you think? In fact, what does everyone think?

Thanks again.

Clint

clintonf, Nov 5, 2004
  6. clintonf

adam

I only have one piece of OL kit and that's the counterweight,while effective,it's not the most attractively made piece of kit,which I heard a few comments regarding OL build quality,so maybe something to bare in mind.

The shure cartridge would most likely be the V15,a very good cartridge,powerful sound deep bass,but I felt a Dynavector on a RB600 was more detailed and dynamic,if less bass weight.

Best thing Clint would be to go and hear it,and see how it compares to what you have,and try to see if you can hear the Rega P7 and Notts ana on the same day for comparision.

adam, Nov 6, 2004
  7. clintonf

sideshowbob Trisha

Don't bother with Origin Live. Minimal resale value secondhand. I'd be looking at Rega, Michell, Nottingham Analogue, the usual suspects.

What's the budget?

-- Ian

sideshowbob, Nov 6, 2004
  8. clintonf

julian2002 Muper Soderator

try and have a listen to a kuzma as well. if i was going to buy into vinyl then i'd be saving for a stabi/stogi
    cheers

julian

julian2002, Nov 6, 2004
  9. clintonf

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

As per Ju/Sideshow.

Personal preferences are for Kuzma and Nottingham Analogue (Interspace at that money). Not An. arms arent that great though, better off with a different arm.

Certainly Id go for a better second hand deck and a cheaper cart than you had last time. When I went from my Ortofohn MC15 super II (115 pounds) to the same Kontrapunkt you had (500 pounds) there was a small difference. The difference between the decks should be greater IMHO.

Chris

bottleneck, Nov 6, 2004
  10. clintonf

joel Shaman of Signals

What don't you like with the Notts analogue arms?
    I've just picked up an Interspace and am more than happy with the Notts arm that came with it (using a DV17 Karat).

joel, Nov 6, 2004
  11. clintonf

Hi

It sounded veiled to me when I compared them to other unipivots (hadcocks, kuzma) using the same deck and cart.

I heard the space arm.

The dealer said he found similar effect all the way up to the Mentor arm.

Your mileage may vary of course.

Chris

bottleneck, Nov 6, 2004
  12. clintonf

adam

Joel,

How do you find the NA interspace compares to the P25?without an arm it is cheaper than the P25,I would have thought the Spacedeck was the next level,1,500 €uros without arm.

adam, Nov 6, 2004
  13. clintonf

joel Shaman of Signals

Thanks for that Chris. I haven't compared the Notts arm directly with anything (other than the RB600 / P25 - which the Interpsce blows away quite comprehensively).
    That's something to bear in mind when I come to look for the second arm to mount :D
    Adam,
    Sorry I didn't see your post as I was making mine.
    I was worried when I got the Interspace last week that it would be abit of a "sidegrade", but it really isn't. The Interspace (HD - with the old Hyperspace platter) is superior in every way to the P25*.
    Quite amazing to hear how much better it is in my system. Eye-opening in fact.

http://www.pbase.com/jomina/nottingham_interspace

*currently in honeymoon period, so please take my ramblings with a big pinch of salt.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 6, 2004
    joel, Nov 6, 2004
  14. clintonf

sideshowbob Trisha

It's a beauty. Looks in mint nick.

I've always quite liked the look of Nottingham arms, but I've never compared them to anything else.

Big platters rule.

-- Ian

sideshowbob, Nov 6, 2004
  15. clintonf

Hi Joel

Welcome to ''club Nottingham Analogue''!

We hope to rival the meadowlark mafia over time. :D

PS
    Glad you like the Interspace. I think its brilliant.

bottleneck, Nov 6, 2004
  16. clintonf

clintonf

I've been offer a good exchange on the RPM 9 against a Michell Gyrodeck SE with a RB300 arm. Would this be any good?

How would it compare with the Gyrodeck Bronze with some arm. I can't really afford the Bronze, but would it be worthwhile to save and get that?

Cheers

Clint

clintonf, Nov 6, 2004
  17. clintonf

sideshowbob Trisha

The bronze just has more acrylic, and a lid.

If the price is right go for the Gyro SE, especially if it's a recent model with DC motor. It's a great deck as it is, but also has a nice, relatively cheap, upgrade path (Orbe platter and improved PSU), which takes it up to seriously good status for not a huge amount of money.

-- Ian

sideshowbob, Nov 6, 2004
  18. clintonf

adam

Agree with Ian a very safe and good buy.

adam, Nov 6, 2004
  19. clintonf

clintonf

Thank you very much Ian and Adam. As ever, I value your advice.

My only concern is I won't be able to hear the TT before I purchase.

I know this is an almost ridiculous question, but would I be getting good performance gains over the RPM 9 and what sort of things do you think I'd be getting?

This will be the last question as i've more or less agreed to go for the Gyrodec SE. It will be the latest one as it's new.

Cheers

Clint

P.S. Cartridge suggestions are welcome since i'm going to have a purchase a new cartridge or get the existing one repaired.

I've got an old Ortofon MC15 that I could use for the time being, so I could save for a new cartridge.

Finally, I don't want to have a TT that takes ages to set up and tweak. I want something that I can put on a shelf and play music with immediate (once the cartridge has been fitted).

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 6, 2004
    clintonf, Nov 6, 2004
  20. clintonf

sideshowbob Trisha

Never heard the RPM9 so I can't tell you how the Gyro compares, all I can say is, as it is, it's great, maxed out it's terrific. I've had mine for nearly 3 years and have no desire to change it at all.

As for setup, it's straightforward, although you do need to take a little bit of time to get it right. It's not difficult, but you should expect to fiddle with it a bit over the first week to get the platter level and the suspension bouncing as you want it. Once it's set up, it stays set up. It's a very untweaky deck, unlike some suspended designs.

As for cartridges, depends on the budget. One day I must hear the Denon DL103, which is the budget MC of choice on PFM, about £90 and great by all accounts.

-- Ian

sideshowbob, Nov 6, 2004
Ask a Question