Projectors... just in case someone knows..

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Tim F, Oct 4, 2005.

1. Tim F

Tim F

Hi all,

Having had a disaster with a CRT projector, it's gone wrong and there's no-one in the UK that can fix it! I'm looking for a DLP that DOES NOT give the rainbow effect at around £2k second hand, I can buy new if there's something suitable. I am aware of LCD etc.

If none exist at this price then I'll go and buy another ridiculously large and annoying CRT.

One of the Infocus Screenplay ones was no good for me, I'm not sure which model but the rainbows were very distracting.

Thanks, Tim

Tim F, Oct 4, 2005
  2. Tim F

Garmt

There are hardly any of these without rainbow effect... Looking at the quality of the image though, a BenQ 8700/7700 looks very good. They still have rainbows though, as in my opinion do ALL DLP projectors bar the little 3-chippers that are available.

Might be better to stick with LCD or better yet, CRT...! A Barco 808 or 801 can easily be had for that money. Check crtprojectors.co.uk. Great guys!

Garmt, Oct 4, 2005
  3. Tim F

Tim F

Hi Garmt, that's what I was concerned about, thanks for the info. I'm staying away from DLP then. LCD is ok but average picture quality. CRT's are HUGE and a pain to set up, I bet I end up getting another one though!

Tim F, Oct 4, 2005
  4. Tim F

Garmt

Good luck, if you need some help, I have installed some of these beasts already! Be sure to buy either a Barco 808, 801 or 701.

Garmt, Oct 4, 2005
  5. Tim F

alexs2

Briefly tried a couple of the Sim2 offerings and a DLP RPTV all of which were enough to convince me that I couldnt live with them...once you become aware of rainbows,they do become increasingly distracting and headache-inducing.

I'm not sure if this goes against any of the forum rules etc,but you may also find one of the Av related forums useful.

alexs2, Oct 4, 2005
  6. Tim F

michaelab desafinado

I've never noticed the DLP rainbow effect but then they say it does affect some people more than others. LCD PJs are getting better all the time - I've seen plenty I could live with.

Michael.

michaelab, Oct 4, 2005
  7. Tim F

alexs2

Very good point....a lot of this yrs LCD's are much better than even a year ago,and the contrast/black levels now are very decent indeed.

alexs2, Oct 4, 2005
  8. Tim F

Tim F

My main problem was with picture quality on LCDs and not so much the black levels (which I could live with). I think I'd better go and see some new ones. My friend as the Panasonic PTA 300E which is ok.

Thanks for the offer Garmt, I currently have a NEC and couldn't get support in the uk for it so I will be looking at Barco, Sony or Eltromaque (off the top of my head). I may even buy from a shop (shock horror!) after last times hastle.

Once you can see rainbows you're doomed, I just kept seeing huge flashes of light which really did my head in!

Tim F, Oct 4, 2005
  9. Tim F

joel Shaman of Signals

The ProjectionDesign F3 is quite nice, providing your source is up to the job. Possibly a bit on the expensive side, too :)

joel, Oct 4, 2005
  10. Tim F

joel Shaman of Signals

Something like the Hitachi CP-X1250 is a lot cheaper than the above, is not DLP, but is still reasonably OK (and fairly quiet).

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 4, 2005
    joel, Oct 4, 2005
  11. Tim F

SteveC PrimaLuna is not cheese

If you thought the 3oo was ok then see the Panasonic PT-AE700E. It's full 1280 x 720 and up to 1080i and it goes for a very good price now. I'm very happy with mine. I have some light control but you say black level isn't the priority. Colour is very good and I never see screen door.

SteveC, Oct 4, 2005
  12. Tim F

Tim F

Hi Steve,

Does this work well with a scalar \ line trippler (I have one). Doesn't make much sense me binning this as it's a £2k unit. Only thing is I don't have SDI on my DVD player, have you used this versus the standard RGB etc. inputs.

How much better is this projector compared with the 300, I know it's a difficult question!

Thanks, Tim

Tim F, Oct 4, 2005
  13. Tim F

I-S Good Evening.... Infidel

I'm waiting for OLED televisions personally.

I-S, Oct 4, 2005
  14. Tim F

Tim F

Hi Issac,

I already have a 7foot screen in my lounge but will be getting a wall mount lcd or plasma anyway.

Tim F, Oct 4, 2005
  15. Tim F

leonard smalls GufmeisterGeneral

Having been used to grade 1 CRT monitors, I'm very happy with my LCD Panasonic - and it's only the AE500. Not quite as good as a Barco CRT, but then it was £900 including screen. I didn't think the law of diminishing returns justified more than doubling that for a small jump in performance - but then I don't project any larger than 7'.

leonard smalls, Oct 4, 2005
  16. Tim F

SteveC PrimaLuna is not cheese

I think the best bet is to have a look at the articles on www.projectorcentral.com. In their reviews they comment that in many cases it's worth having a processing unit such as a DVDO HD+. I haven't (yet) seen my Panasonic 700 with one of these, but my dealer is trying to persuade me it is worth doing though he hasn't used a Pana himself. Another point is that older scalers quickly lose value, so have have to be ready to accept the fate of yours :)

Couldn't tell you about SDI as it's probably about as rare as the unicorn where I live. I run on HDMI from DVD direct to the projector on a Supra 15 M cable. I think this distance is borderline as I occasionally get loss of lock. It's better but many people would not notice if I switch even to s-video. Films from satellite are quite acceptable on s-video.

As regards value for money, I think the improvement you subjectively get in % is roughly the (log10 of the proportional price-hop) x 100, so it's your call :)

SteveC, Oct 5, 2005
  17. Tim F

inteificio

What does the backlighting on a LCD tv if not an OLED? or am i missing something?

inteificio, Oct 5, 2005
  18. Tim F

Dynamic Turtle The Bydo Destroyer

I use a DLP projector in my bedroom for video gaming and have to say the Zippy & Bungle effect is more noticeable on some games than others.

It seems not to be caused by the speed of the on-screen action, but by how fast one's eyes are prompted to look across the screen.

If your eyes whizz across quickly, you'll see rainbows.

I must admit that after a few months, my eyes have become accustomed to them and I hardly ever notice them any more.

DT

Dynamic Turtle, Oct 5, 2005
  19. Tim F

Garmt

Again, get in contact with the guys from crtprojectors.co.uk. They are a dream to deal with...

Garmt, Oct 5, 2005
Ask a Question