Promitheus TVC pre

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by rawray, Dec 18, 2007.

1. rawray

rawray

Anyone using the above with their main source vinyl?

I understand there could be some gain problems when using low output moving coils?

Have Denon DL304(low output),Whest ps20,Illustrious,Orbe,MF 3.2 sep. pre/power amp 130wpc,Proac studio 140's.

rawray, Dec 18, 2007
  2. rawray

Toride

Hi rawray,

Does it depend on whether your phono stage can drive the TVC ? Maybe ask Whest?
    I've used Promitheus TVC with:

Whest ps20 + Shelter 901 (0.5 mV)

ESE Labs Nibiru phono + Shelter 901 (0.5 mV) / Denon 103 (0.3 mV) / Audio Technica AT33PTG (0.5 mV)

no problems in either case (it's a fantastic pre IMO).

I found the Bottlehead Seduction + Empire EDR.9 struggled a bit into the Prom.

Toride, Dec 18, 2007
  3. rawray

rawray

Hi Torode thanks,

The 304 is only 0.18mV,so may give Whest a ring.

How was the soundstage with the Whest,I'm presuming it was ok.The reason I ask,is that I've tried the NVA P50 in my system and the soundstage closed in,put back the 3.2 pre and it opened up considerably.

Ray

rawray, Dec 18, 2007
  4. rawray

rollo

I had the dual mono version. Did not have enough gain to drive my Linn with Micro Benz M2. I also found it 2 dimensional upfront and threadbare compared to my active.
    After the initial thrill of its clarity and detaill I found it just did not have the body and soul of a tubed active.
    A decent product for the money but certainly not the Pre for everyone.
    The Music First and Bent units are IMO better at retriving the weight and autrority of the music in a way the Promitheus can not. My 2 cents anyway

rollo

rollo, Dec 18, 2007
  5. rawray

ADPully

I use music maker 11 cart 4mv in to Whest Two then promithesis TVC into 10 watts per channel driving quad ELS57's or B&W P2h's
    Volume is substantial.

Over twenty years Ive had passives and a few actives preamps (one megabuck studio one) Im waiting to here a active preamp that that dosnt sound either soft of a little grainy compared with a good passive.

As for Passives lacking drive - I dont get this at all - my system is very in a nightclub sound not analytical at all.

ADPully, Dec 18, 2007
  6. rawray

scott_01

I ran a denon DL304 and an Einstein EMT into a Dussun 3i (red rose clone) and then into the prom. I had no problems with volume but I do think my amps were working a good deal harder than they had with an active pre.

I really liked the sound and wouldn't have changed if my amp hadn't died and I hadn't got the accuphase.

That said, I actually prefer the sound of my accuphase integrated to my pre-power combo. I suppose that just shows that there is more than one way to skin a cat.

scott_01, Dec 18, 2007
  7. rawray

ADPully

I agree fully scott - there are many ways to skin a cat.

ADPully, Dec 18, 2007
  8. rawray

rollo

I agree fully as well. Game on.

rollo

rollo, Dec 18, 2007
  9. rawray

Promitheusaudio

I think it boils down to how much gain does the phono preamp has. Without the suffice gain from the phono preamp there will be cases where the sound may be aneamic sounding depending on your power amp input sensitivity
    The whest is an absolute gem when in comes to phono preamp. Its natural high gain of 72db really helps alot with the TVC. Friends of mine use this phono preamp with no problems with the TVC even with the Denon 103.
    A friend of my uses a Krell power amp with the Zanden Phono preamp and our TVC. He finds that the TVC is slightly low on gain and needs a boost.

Bottom line is comes down to the cartridge output and the phono gain.

Cheers
    Nicholas

How are you, Rollo, doing well?

Promitheusaudio, Dec 19, 2007
  10. rawray

rollo

Doing just fine thankyou. Surprised to see you here. I was honored to see all my ideas in your new Ref. double "C" core model. How's business been treating you?
    Say hello to your Dad, is he playing some Golf these days? Give your Mom a big Kiss for me.
    With reference to the phono a high output MM should have no problem. Low MC require a step up trannie. My active has 52DB gain and the cart. .8mv output, amp .6 input sens. In my case just not enough juice.
    Actually my TVC has been totaly redone. The trannies [ modified] are the only remaining piece besides the wood enclosure. Custom attenuators Mapleshade internal wiring, Ebony cradle for trannies, solid copper RCAs, proper wire manangement, shielding and a few other tricks.
    I'm having some trannies made up with heavier Ga . wire, Labortory grade Silicon steel, "R" core and double "C" core. The prototypes measured extremley well, exciting times here actually.
    My goal was to add the body and weight to the sound similar to the best actives without loosing the clarity and presence of the TVC. So far so good, well above my expectations.
    Too bad our business dealings went sour you never know what could have been. Well life goes on. Hope you respond.

cheers

rollo

rollo, Dec 19, 2007
  11. rawray

anubisgrau

obviously anyone can customize a product according to his own taste, inc. TVC. i would agree that the best are coming from unknown (unbranded) labs and workshops, if you want to keep pricing under control.

anubisgrau, Dec 19, 2007
  12. rawray

Toride

Hi Ray,
    I only heard the Whest on a one month demo but the soundstage was excellent - followed the recording - good front to back depth with very nice layering of details. Agree with Nicholas - Whest is a top phono.

I don't have that much experience with valve stuff yet but I would also tend to agree with Rollo – I've heard slightly better weight and 'body' from valve compared to the SS I've listened to (only at preamp and phono stages – not power amp stage). For those brought up on SS electronics (i.e me!), it's weird when you first hear it but there does seem to be more weight or body to music reproduced via valve. Need more experience in this.

Have you bought the Prom yet?

Toride, Dec 19, 2007
  13. rawray

rollo

Actually not for my own taste. I've assembled a team of well known trannie designers and audio designers to improve on a good concept started by Bent and Music First. Just looking to make the ultimate state of the art TVC for personal use. Its not about the cost IMO its about the sound. If a product is manufactured in a small country where the dollar is 3.4 to one its an easy sell to US and UK. A Ref. TVC at $1100 is 3400 ringats. Thats almost enough to pay payroll and rent for one month there. A big advantage IMO. Labor is the determing factor. Parts are of little cost. Everything is built to as price point. The TVC is good for the buck but you can do better if you can afford it IMHO. Just like going to the Ref. version as opposed to the basic model. You get what you pay for. I've had some experience as you know with the TVC and its siblings. This is not my opinion.
    The TVC is an alternative to what weve been used too. Until you listen to them all as I have done in my system then you will know what is possible with TVCs. Until then its all bullshit. The only one I have not listened to is the MF ref. at $15,000US. Now that piece may be the one but $15,000 is a bit to much for even me to swallow.
    Anubisgrau where have you been? Good to hear from you. Hope all is well.

rollo

rollo, Dec 19, 2007
  14. rawray

rollo

Nicholas,
    I guess some things never change. Emailed you the 19th a week ago still no response. Oh well life goes on.

rollo

rollo, Dec 26, 2007
Ask a Question