Promitheus TVC

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by rollo, Dec 1, 2006.

1. rollo

RobHolt Moderator

Yup - those are the ones.

Still sound fine to me.

RobHolt, Dec 4, 2006
  2. rollo

anubisgrau

i think that arrival of prometheus gives a completely new perspective of TVCs...

with a 1,500 quid price tag, MF is clearly aiming to high end market - i'm not talking about ridiculous esoteria but realistic high end. however, many users clearly don't wanna pay that money for a component that might cease to exist in few years, once that volume controls in digital media become sophisticated enough to bypass any preamp.

with prometheus, things look different - it is the first product that makes TVCs not only affordable to everone, from DIY enthusiasts to supahiend freakozoids, but also allows relaxed trial-and-error game. whatever version you take, $340 or $480, it is stupid money for what you get in comparison with other similar products.

another thing is a system compatibility - of course it's not going to work for everyone. neither nad 3020 nor musical fidelity A1 worked from everyone but it didn't stop them from going into history as products that brought a technology once exclusively reserved for truly high end products to masses. if that is going to please a high end snobbery is another question.

anubisgrau, Dec 4, 2006
  3. rollo

hifi addict

It's not so much that Music First Audio are aiming for the Highend market. It's that the product is built from scratch in the UK.

The transformers are hand wound in house and made to extreame controls. It's also sold through dealers which keeps the price up. Johnathan Makes transformers for some of the most respected pro-audio and Hifi manufacturers. He is also one of the most concientious manufacturers out there.

I'm not taking anything away from other TVC's but I just thought I would put my oar in.

hifi addict, Dec 4, 2006
  4. rollo

rollo

:(

rollo, Dec 4, 2006
  5. rollo

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

Hi Rollo

My post was a little too strong in some regards I think.

We have recently had a spate of SPAM and other manufacturers trying to 'silently promote' their products, or do so by other means..

I apologise, no need to infer that applied to you, you are probably just a happy customer.

bottleneck, Dec 4, 2006
  6. rollo

rollo

Wow,I'm new to Zero Gain as well but not new to this hobby.In it for over 35 years.I am NOT affiliated with any manufacturer,distributor,or marketing group.My origanal post was intended to inform my new friends of our audioclubs opinions on the shootout we conducted against some well respected active units.The actives sounded wonderfull until we inserted the Promitheus.The TVC showed us the parts missing from the actives.Some to a small degree some quite obvious.Without going into it all,the TVC was clearly more transparent,dynamic,naturally detailed and presented a presence to the source not heard before.Through the Lector CDP,Opera Cyber 211[GE 211,Amperx 6DJ8 Holland,Tungsol 5687]and Pipedreams we HEARD on all types of progam material an almost live quality that the actives could NOT achieve.SO because of our findings I thought it would be nice to share it with my new FRIENDS.With that in mind, if you own a cdp with an output of 3V or better and an amp. with alow input sensitivity say around .6V you could be a happy camper.Just one more thing praising a product for its merrits when due is welcome where I come from SORRY if anyone got the wrong idea.Just being a Bottlehead I guess.No pun intended. Happy Trails rollo

rollo, Dec 4, 2006
  7. rollo

rollo

Hi Bottleneck Thats nice of you didn't get insulted just puzzled about comments.Understand fully your concern.There is alot of AGENDA out there, so enough already its time for listening HAPPY TRAILS to you until we meet again rollo

rollo, Dec 4, 2006
  8. rollo

Tenson Moderator

Why are you shouting? :(

Tenson, Dec 4, 2006
  9. rollo

rollo

GHM, Great observation garbage in garbage out TVC's will reveal your up chain components character.Unless the source is spot on dont use a TVC.Question?Is the preamp where we flavor the signal to our personal taste the most or is it cabling? Or do you flavor elsewhere? So Iguess in essence its personal in the way we perceive the presentation. Cheers rollo

rollo, Dec 4, 2006
  10. rollo

GHM

Hi Rollo..some flavor the sound with the preamp..not something I want to do though... been there done that.

I like to flavor my sound with the source. I want everything else down stream to be as transparent as possible. Some flavor the sound with cables..I find this to be a long and endless road. I prefer to use cables that are as neutral as possible.

Your description of the TVC is spot on. I've found guys using it with $6000 to $8000 CDPs like Wadia and Levinson. Which are designed to be used without preamps... Go figure? $8000 CDP with a $340 TVC in front of it.LOL

The little guy works well for even the ones that can afford much more expensive gear.

GHM, Dec 4, 2006
  11. rollo

larkrise Sheepdogs prefer red wine

Having spent some time with he promitheus I switched back to the Music First (yet again) but this time I do believe the MF has it. Sounded more relaxed and detailed, just nicer. But the promitheus is one fantastic bargain and sounds excellent. Anyhow - mind made up now, keeping the music First - which is a bit of a devil as i was hoping to be able to flog it on e bay for Xmas presents. i think the devil is in the detail - the MF is very well made. Anyway - those on a budget and still want a great pre i do think you should try and hear the prom.

larkrise, Dec 4, 2006
  12. rollo

rollo

My unit shipped yesterday according to nichcolas. Waited about a month.A real pleasure doing business with Nichcolas
    rollo

P.S. 300 hour break-in required to reach full potential.Wow!

rollo, Dec 9, 2006
Ask a Question