PS Audio HCA-2 Power amp

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by alanbeeb, Jul 24, 2004.

1. alanbeeb

alanbeeb Grumpy young fogey

Folks - anyone got any opinions on this power amp, what is its sonic character, comparison to Bel canto evo? Thanks.

alanbeeb, Jul 24, 2004
  2. alanbeeb

wadia-miester Mighty Rearranger

Alan,

I've owned both, had them side by side (evo 2), and for me the B/c was far better at the aspects of MUSIC I was looking for.
    I'd say the Hca 2 was more open at the top and had more 'straighter, less fruity mid', power was splitting hairs, the B/c (for me me was better in the bass & groove dept's) The Ps audio, has very good bass, but too 'matter of fact' for me. More in the hifi camp (presenational aspects), which I feel for you, may be worth a punt.
    They both can be tweeked rather well too :cool:
    However, Both amps can been given serious leaps in performance with decent mains cables and conditioning, and their true potential, never seems to be realised until this happens.
    The PS audio website recommends that you use their 'special power lead' to extract the most from the amp it's self.
    They are relitively cheap around £650-£800 in the US, nice construction, and solid performers.
    Definately worth an audidition, then you can throw the pre-concieved idea's out the window and make your own mind up :) Wm

wadia-miester, Jul 24, 2004
  3. alanbeeb

alanbeeb Grumpy young fogey

Thanks WM... I might be able to get an audition of the BC evo2 so will give it a try.

alanbeeb, Jul 26, 2004
Ask a Question