PS Audio Ultimate Outlet

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Petergc, Nov 10, 2006.

1. Petergc

Petergc

I recently picked up two of the high current versions of these via avforums, and was wondering if anyone had any experience of using them. I have initially set up one to feed my Wadia CD player and Proceed AVP2 pre/pro, and feel this has reduced the perceived noisefloor, giving better depth of sound. It also seems to provide a more detailed sound, but without the thinning of individual instruments I found with an Isotek minisub.
    So far so good, but early days.
    The other UO is currently feeding my Plasma and my DVD player, to little noticeable effect. I was thinking of using this on my Proceed AMP5 power amp, as the PS Audio site claims it to be a good match to power amps. But I have always felt that power amps are best straight into the wall, as any conditioning might be at the expense of dynamics. Any thoughts on this?

Also I currently just use OEM supplied power leads, although I am feeding one UO with a more exotic Living Voice power lead. Would changing the leads to the wall, and to the componenets be worth considering.
    I know a lot of folk think power supply makes absolutely no difference, but do not feel that airing such a view in response will be of the slightest benefit to anyone, so perhaps they could keep away>

Petergc, Nov 10, 2006
  2. Petergc

julian2002 Muper Soderator

hi,
    i've heard enough conditioners / powerleads to know that they can vary wildly in their effects - also an immediately impressive effect can rapidly devolve into something that you dislike so let your ears get used to what's going on before plunging ahead.

if you do decide to go down the cable route then look into the supra mains lead kit. super easy to make yourself and brings real benefits for not much dosh. if you have wads to chuck about then take have a listen to the coherent loom - very impressive if you agree with the presentation it gives. i currently use chinese bada audio conditioner and analog research silver raincoat leads for my kit so it's worth looking about to see what you like the sound of. it might be worth seeing if you can borrow som ps audio leads from a dealer as they'd probably work best with your conditioner.

julian2002, Nov 10, 2006
  3. Petergc

Petergc

Thanks for the advice. I agree that sometimes changes to sound are immediately impressive, but wane with time. this was exactly my experience with Nordost cables. I'll give myself time to get used to the cahnge before considering a further move

Petergc, Nov 10, 2006
  4. Petergc

Dick Bowman

I've used a PS Powerplant 300 for some years now, with good results. I don't buy into the exotic power cables guff, but AC regeneration makes a lot of sense.

Tried an Ultimate Outlet on the offchance (the PP300 wasn't going to handle my power amp) - felt equally as happy with it, so it stayed.

Leaving me with a sense that PS Audio know what they're doing with power. Whether any other manufacturer is as/more capable, I can't say.

Dick Bowman, Nov 11, 2006
  5. Petergc

Petergc

A bit of quick experimentation today confirmed that the Ultimate outlet was giving a somewhat more detailed sound, with more black between the notes and a bit more thwack to bass notes. Putting the second UO onto my Poweramp gave a further tighten up to the bass, so that's how it's gonna stay for a bit. I've disconnected the PLAsma, as I really couldn't see any difference. Never really tried the DVD, so maybe another time.
    Don't get me wrong, none of this is day and night, but it is noticeable so I'm pretty happy

Petergc, Nov 11, 2006
  6. Petergc

Croc

few years ago i've tried UO on the CD player.
    it changed the sound but it compressed it also.
    together with Coincident power cord it did good - but costed too much IMO.
    until today the only cable that did good every time i tried it is VDH the mainstream.

Croc, Nov 13, 2006
  7. Petergc

Petergc

I have been expecting, and looking out for any signs of compression or thinnness, but so far I don't think I am experiencing either

Petergc, Nov 15, 2006
  8. Petergc

JANDL100

I use a PS Audio UO - to excellent effect. I don't notice any degradation in any aspect of sound. But the silences are darker and the images are better focussed. Dynamics seem de-compressed too. Well worth while, including quite heavy duty power amps. I used to have a P300 mains regenerator (gave it up due to irritatingly loud fan) and I reckon the UO on its own takes you at least 60% of the way to that superb sounding piece of kit.

Also, I think decent mains cables are a must - you're not getting the most out of the UO otherwise, IMO. I highly rate Krystal Kables Titan.

JANDL100, Nov 30, 2006
  9. Petergc

Petergc

Thanks for this advice. I have recently scored a PS Audio Xtream Plus cable which I ill try out. I ahve also ordered three LAPP cables from ANdy on the classifieds, and will see what these do.

Petergc, Dec 2, 2006
  10. Petergc

JANDL100

Excellent! - don't forget to leave a post about how it turned out.

JANDL100, Dec 2, 2006
  11. Petergc

rollo

Have heard mixed reviews from our club members about the UO.Nothing major just synergy, as the UO is not neutral it tended to ease the sound a bit.Dynamics still there just smoother.Biggest improvement was a very noticable drop in noise floor.Which brings me to mention that the PS Audio Harvesters are more effective overall Than the UO alone.Just plug in and watch the blue LED blink the online noise away.Used along with the UO lowered the noise floor so much that we heard information not previously. Cheers rollo

rollo, Dec 3, 2006
Ask a Question