PS3 + HDTV - My first impressions!

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Telkman, Mar 21, 2008.

1. Telkman

Telkman Nurturing Malevolence

My days of keeping up with new technology seem to have faded in recent years - probably because I can't seem to afford any of it!

But I've started breaking my Spitfire and selling it as parts, and I wanted to spend the money on something I'd enjoy, not on paying off credit cards and overdrafts!

So what turned up on my door yesterday afternoon - a Playstation 3 and a 32" LCD TV.

The TV set me back £299 from Ebuyer, so it's hardly a top spec model, but as soon as I first plugged the HDMI cable into the PS3... WOW!

Admittedly, I'm moving up from a 20" CRT, but the visuals are absolutely gorgeous! I can't wait to start buying some Blu-ray films to watch!

Any other PS3/Blu-ray owners out there? What games/films should I be looking at?

Telkman, Mar 21, 2008
  2. Telkman

jebustheone

What TV is it? Blu Ray can cause some troubles in some TVs, because the sync may be out, especially on the cheaper models. I think Blu Rays are in 24p, and it may be difficult for your TV to "drop down" that into it's native refresh rate. If it does do this, then using a decent component cable may help, as this may cause the ps3 to "match" the 60hz tv. This worked on my friends TV.
    IMHO hdmi is not really that much better than component anyway, and in my eyes, both are inferior to a decent studio VGA cable.

I might be wrong, this is just from a rusty memory.
    :p

jebustheone, Mar 24, 2008
  3. Telkman

lbr monkey boy

:yikes:

lbr, Jun 30, 2008
  4. Telkman

Telkman Nurturing Malevolence

Thread from the dead!

The Spitfire is all gone now, I can even fit the Land Rover in the garage if I take the roof and doors off :)

Telkman, Jun 30, 2008
  5. Telkman

I-S Good Evening.... Infidel

He means triumph, not supermarine.

I'd do something like this (ie the PS3 thing), but I gave up paying the TV license, although I keep thinking about getting a large computer monitor that has an HDMI input. For now though I really can't afford it...

I-S, Jul 1, 2008
  6. Telkman

Samantha

Mark - I bought my PS3 back in April, got my HD TV on Monday, and I agree with your "Wow".

Even simple games are just so much nicer. Normal def TV actually looks better on this TV (despite my concerns regarding Plasma vs CRT on normal def previously), I would describe this Plasma as just really nice and natural compared with the old (and I thought good) CRT. However HD is another thing altogether - I downloaded something to see what this HD stuff was like, and although I wasn't planning to sit and watch (I had things to do) - I found myself watching a good 10 minutes as it is just so captivatingly good.

Took me a while to dive in, but glad I finally did.

Samantha, Jul 3, 2008
  7. Telkman

muchojackdaniel

Ya i got the ps3 for Metal Gear Solid 4. Well worth it.

muchojackdaniel, Jul 21, 2008
  8. Telkman

FrankDeckard

I am still pissed over the HD-DVD thing (three machines and close to 150 discs), but I think the PS3 is the ONLY Blu-ray machine worth buying. The new Panasonic has great picture quality, but the price is BS. Same deal for the new Pioneer and Denon Blu-ray players.

The PS3 works great as a Blu-ray player and it's nice to have something vertical for a change.

There's a joke in there somewhere.

Hellboy and Season One of Mad Men are great on Blu-ray.

FrankDeckard, Jul 21, 2008
  9. Telkman

Samantha

I use my PS3 more as a media centre than for games.

Got some standard TV HD stuff (720) and also some true full HD stuff - even my mother and retired uncle (he being a skeptic) could see the massive difference between std -> 720 -> full HD

Not seen any blueray stuff yet but I assume this will be same as the full HD stuff I have.

Samantha, Sep 29, 2008
Ask a Question