Purchasing first serious hifi.

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by TheCherub, Aug 25, 2010.

1. TheCherub

hubsand Item Audio

Like I said: try finding a better speaker at anything like the price of the Yamaha NS1000M. Name one other speaker with Beryllium midrange drivers and tweeters. And how much is that?

They have increased in value rapidly over the last three years as a new generation discover their abilities: for value, they're fantastic.

A 2K PC+DAC will WAY outperform a 2K CD player, and is also a digital radio, streaming device, home theatre, TV, web browser, et al. Why would you want an antiquated disc spinner?

PS: A Krell or iPod dock makes a fantastic transport, actually: give it a decent power supply and pair it with a good buffer + £1K DAC and it will wipe the floor with a (new) £1500 CD player.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 25, 2010
    hubsand, Aug 25, 2010
  2. TheCherub

hubsand Item Audio

Half?! I should be so lucky!

hubsand, Aug 25, 2010
  3. TheCherub

hubsand Item Audio

Maybe. But that fraction would probably be more than 500/1000 . . . you can't just jack a USB lead into a laptop and kid yourself you're sorted.

With a £10K budget, there's room to do it properly: linear PSU, shielding, buffer, fast memory, solid state drive, etc: that's more than £600 in parts alone.

hubsand, Aug 25, 2010
  4. TheCherub

TheCherub

I'm well aware that the manufacturer provides the warranty. It was more that most second hand kit is outside of the manufacturer's warranty whereas anything new from a dealer does still have it. It's definitely swings and roundabouts, and will probably come down to what happens to be available at the time on the second hand market.

With regards to the Pathos / Kef Ref setup, what really struck me is that I had listened to Eric Clapton Unplugged on it, and then gone into the next room (I was in Harrods at the time, not the best place but I'm not going to spurn an opportunity) and heard my brother playing a Yamaha grand in the flesh and it not sound as good. Now I know there's plenty of potential for taking pot-shots at Yamaha pianos, but it's still telling when the reproduction of an instrument sounds better than a real life version of it.

Whilst the Quads are far from being tiny, they can be moved back against a wall when not in use rather more easily than things like the large Tannoys and any of the enormous horn speakers about. There will be certain constraints from SWMBO, so tbh I'm not even going to try listening to them, as I really don't want to start liking them! Even the Quads are somewhat in doubt in that regard, hence why I've even bothered listening to other things.

Finally, I really don't want to go down the computer audio route. Firstly, sticking it in the space I have available isn't going to be possible, and secondly I want a zero hassle box that I don't need to put any work into.

TheCherub, Aug 25, 2010
  5. TheCherub

hubsand Item Audio

Well, good luck. It pays to listen as widely as possible. Keep your options open.

I am as biased as my signature suggests with regard to computer audio, but I know you'd be amazed if you auditioned a high-end iPod dock setup! Now that is a zero-hassle box . . .

hubsand, Aug 25, 2010
  6. TheCherub

nando nando

i love quads els's

nando, Aug 25, 2010
  7. TheCherub

Richard Dunn

Since when are you a retailer.

Richard Dunn, Aug 25, 2010
  8. TheCherub

TheCherub

I'm quite curious about that new Wadia dock, and I'm definitely leaning towards the independent DAC route, not least because if I do end up using a computer due to a change in circumstances then I can maximise the effect of my money.

TheCherub, Aug 25, 2010
  9. TheCherub

Richard Dunn

I think you are confused how Guarantee / Warranty works, by law!

Richard Dunn, Aug 25, 2010
  10. TheCherub

hubsand Item Audio

Is that a question.

hubsand, Aug 25, 2010
  11. TheCherub

TheCherub

Not at all, I have to explain the difference to people on a daily basis to people. What I meant about warranties being expired on second hand kit is because it is often older than the warranty period rather than the fact that it has been resold invalidating it.

TheCherub, Aug 25, 2010
  12. TheCherub

hubsand Item Audio

That's what I'd do. Surely CD is a dying format.

In the library with my nephew last week: I say: 'I'm getting some CDs out: is there anything you want?'

He replies, quizzically, 'Why? I can play all these on the net . . .'

So that's the future, then.

hubsand, Aug 25, 2010
  13. TheCherub

TheCherub

I'd only consider CD dead when it actually is. People were forecasting the death of vinyl for a long time, and yet it's still an incredibly healthy market. If it is dying then I can at least increase my music collection on the cheap ;)

TheCherub, Aug 25, 2010
  14. TheCherub

hubsand Item Audio

Sure, pick the bones . . .

Vinyl survived (whereas cassettes died) because it (still) sounds great.

But computers sound as least as good as CD players, are massively more versatile, and intrinsically suited to the digital media, including current and future high-resolution formats inaccessible to standard disc spinners. The writing's on the wall . . .

hubsand, Aug 25, 2010
  15. TheCherub

Basil

If you want to waste money, I have an old XP machine, cost £250 + £60 for an additional 1Tb HD.

Another £200 for a squeezebox and it's better than every CD player I've heard.

None of that stuff you mention is necessary for audio.

Basil, Aug 25, 2010
  16. TheCherub

Purite Audio Purite Audio

Wow just wait until you hear a really good dac, you are in for a treat!
    Keith.

Purite Audio, Aug 25, 2010
  17. TheCherub

Basil

Like a Wolfson?

Basil, Aug 25, 2010
  18. TheCherub

Purite Audio Purite Audio

I really mean't the whole dac not just the chip, sb's are ok but nothing special imho.
    Keith.

Purite Audio, Aug 25, 2010
  19. TheCherub

dudywoxer Regaholic

Starting from scratch is probably the most daunting part of building a system. You have nothing at home to put the components with, and no real point of reference to work from.

As you like the quad sound, although I have some doubts about how well the quad speakers will work in your room you could look around for a used quad system. It would cost you much less to set up a system, and when you felt the need to upgrade, or replace with new, you should not lose too much money on the older quad kit.

As an example I have just spent 5 minutes searching the net, and found re furbished Quad 57 and 63 speakers for ?1700, with a 12 month warranty, and pair of ELS 67 from a private seller for ?450. A Quad 34 pre and 405 power for 300 each. Any competent CD player on the front of those would give a excellent starting point. Not to much cash laid out, and something to enjoy while you decided which way you wanted to go.
    ________
    Colorado marijuana dispensary

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 18, 2011
    dudywoxer, Aug 26, 2010
  20. TheCherub

la toilette Downright stupid

Yeah spot on; if you're planning on spending that much money then you'd want to be sure of what you want before you shell out. You can pick up older esl's relatively cheaply if you take a chance on non-refurbished - I paid £100 for a pair of 57's a few years back, straight out of the local paper. There's a constant supply on ebay.

I'd probably still have them if they'd been aesthetically acceptable to t'other half, even hanging off an old Arcam Alpha (2?) amp they sounded amazing. Sadly never had a chance to pair them up with anything more appropriate, only managed to keep them for about a week, ha ha.

For me at least, half the fun of this hifi hobby is the way my kit has evolved over the past 10 years, and when I say evolved obviously I really mean gone round in circles as I find/lose/attempt to re-find great combinations :D.

la toilette, Aug 26, 2010
Ask a Question