Purchasing first serious hifi.

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by TheCherub, Aug 25, 2010.

1. TheCherub

Purite Audio Purite Audio

I would like to hear those Barefoot speakers, KMR bring them in I believe and they are just up the road.
    Mark do you ever go back and listen t CD's on an optical transport?
    VB Keith.

Purite Audio, Aug 26, 2010
  2. TheCherub

hubsand Item Audio

My (business) partner has a heavily modded T1 that we occasionally talk about pitting against the latest iteration of our PC transport, but I know that particular machine was tested by Mark at Audiocom against his Level IV Wadia dock + Nano and the optical transport wasn't as good. And the computer is a level up again.

Also, the poor old disc spinner gets all asthmatic and ancient when the PC changes gear to 24/96 and 24/192 . . .

hubsand, Aug 27, 2010
  3. TheCherub

Basil

I've been putting together PCs for 11 years so you'd be guessing wrongly.

You might spend a few moments reading this thread:

http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=83093

Basil, Aug 27, 2010
  4. TheCherub

TheCherub

Guys, can I ask that this not turn into a detailed examination of what is required in computer audio.

For the moment, my primary concern is that of amp and speakers, and probably on top of that of a good DAC. The base source component is liable to change of time, so I'm not going to lose any sleep over it for now.

TheCherub, Aug 27, 2010
  5. TheCherub

nando nando

WELL PUT, stick to theme of thread,

nando, Aug 27, 2010
  6. TheCherub

Richard Dunn

Well I am not the forum owners or mod or admin, just a member but I will express an opinion the same as anyone else can on a public forum within the AUP of that forum.

Just because you started the thread doesn't mean you own it! There are some people here with extensive and expert knowledge on the subject and threads *always* go off on tangents if an interesting exchange of knowledge and opinion takes place. Especially now as there is nothing more that can be said to you, so why do you wish to continue with it. It is all very simple the same for all other human beings, you pays your money and you takes your choice! You cannot avoid mistakes the same as all of us have made, and probably are still making. It is like a growing up and gaining knowledge process, there are so many alternatives and all people here can do is give you their alternatives.

So get on with it, buy something, make a choice, go for it. Then tell us what you think and where you went wrong or went right, and then we can see what your progress is. Go on a car forum and ask which car should I buy and see what you get :rolleyes: this is just as daft.

People who want to sell you things will subtly try to sell you things, apart from me :p People many years down the hi-fi road from you like Bottleneck are suggesting things you are not ready for yet - so store that knowledge for future reference.

I personally think that any newcomer should buy second hand on ebay or forums, because then you can buy and sell without too much loss untill you get more of a handle on what you want. Then you have a basis to judge by replacing stuff within a known system, then you can put new things in without so much risk, because anything new from a retailer will lose half its value *as soon as you walk out the shop with it*. BUT the most important thing is your music, in your room, with your ears, and all of those in all of us are different, either slightly or grossly. So enjoy the process of discovery, and don't expect us to hold your hand for the journey.

Richard Dunn, Aug 27, 2010
  7. TheCherub

Purite Audio Purite Audio

Obviously 'active' speakers have the amps built in, so whether you choose a cd player ,with a built in volume control or a hard disc source it would still be a neat system
    Keith.

Purite Audio, Aug 27, 2010
  8. TheCherub

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

A good post I think.

Good components bought second hand for a reasonable price wont cost you any money to own, or sell on if yo dont like them.

Jump in and make a few mistakes :)

bottleneck, Aug 27, 2010
  9. TheCherub

TheCherub

It's a very good point, and one that I think I'll follow, as it does minimise the whole 'damn I purchased the wrong thing' moments that may arise.

Think I'm going to enjoy myself with this one!

TheCherub, Aug 27, 2010
  10. TheCherub

Tenson Moderator

Tenson, Aug 27, 2010
  11. TheCherub

AUDIONUT

Have you heard any of the Tom Evans set up? Worth a listen if you haven't.

AUDIONUT, Sep 9, 2010
Ask a Question