'puters. ow to use em like.

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by bottleneck, Apr 14, 2011.

1. bottleneck

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

ok chaps.. question for PC literate folks out there.

I have - netbook (dell mini 10) which has a hard drive attached, and a USB DAC. That's my digital source that is!

It has Foobar on it.

As I type this, I have a laptop running Vista home basic.

What I'd like to do is ''duplicate'' the foobar from the Netbook onto my Vista-laptop.

I can then relax on the sofa with my laptop controlling my music.. which is on another computer.

Is this possible, perhaps by WIFI? everythign has wifi.

NB
    The actual wireless router is on a desktop, unrelated to these other 2 computers.

bottleneck, Apr 14, 2011
  2. bottleneck

RobHolt Moderator

Dont use Foobar but I would expect it to have an 'import library' option.
    Otherwise, could you attach the external music USB drive and allow the Vista machine to scan it and build a library?

On iTunes, you you can turn on 'home sharing' and pull music off any machine running iTunes on the network, so if all else fails you do have options if using different software.

RobHolt, Apr 14, 2011
  3. bottleneck

Tenson Moderator

Maybe, maybe not.

I tried to use a laptop accessing lossless AAC music files over the network, and then streaming them back out wirelessly to an Airport Express. Accessing the files over wi-fi proved too slow. It did it, but selecting tracks and such was a pain as it took more than a few seconds to start playing. MP3 was fine though. Browsing the albums looking at the artwork was also too slow in iTunes over the network.

I'd suggest you do as I do, and keep your music directly on the netbook. Stick a 750GB hard disk in there. Then you can have all your music directly in that machine and pass it to your USB DAC or do like me and use an Airport Express to wirelessly stream to your DAC.

Tenson, Apr 15, 2011
  4. bottleneck

Dick Bowman

You could use software like RealVNC to give remote access to the netbook - which works, but my experience is that the temptation is to fiddle around and play with the computers instead of listening to the music.

Another approach is to use an iPod Touch (or maybe an iPhone) with the Remote application and FooBar add-in. This puts less distraction into your hands.

Or just get some exercise by walking over to the netbook from time to time to choose something else to listen to.

Dick Bowman, Apr 15, 2011
  5. bottleneck

Hi Rob -

Dick Bowman has it right - I want to ''remote access'' the netbook, rather than ''stream the music to other computers''.. hope this makes sense?

I dont want to stream the music at all, just remotely control the netbook.

I have found an Android App that can do this, but the android handset has a tiny screen and I'd rather use my laptop.

I found an application for 'screen sharing' - would this be the best way?

bottleneck, Apr 15, 2011
  6. bottleneck

bottleneck, Apr 15, 2011
  7. bottleneck

Stuart

Don't use Logmein for this application - it works over the Internet so will be a bit lagy. Look for a VNC program. I don't know what's available in the Windows world but any basic VNC viewer ought to easily do the job over your local network.

Stuart, Apr 15, 2011
  8. bottleneck

zanash

I'm with the other camp ..just copy across the music to the other puters hd and add foobar the the new puter ...

seems simpler and requires less puter power ie more goes into the music you want to play

zanash, Apr 15, 2011
  9. bottleneck

Hi Pete - hope you're doing well?

Don't think you've quite got the scenario though mate, sorry!!..

The hifi has it's own dedicated netbook, with a 2TB external harddrive attached, and a USB DAC attached.

I want to ''remote view'' the screen of the netbook with another computer which is no-where near the hifi.

I will google ''VNC viewer'' it sounds good.

Thanks

bottleneck, Apr 15, 2011
  10. bottleneck

dudywoxer Regaholic

if you have the pc's on a network, and are running windows then you need remote desktop.

dudywoxer, Apr 15, 2011
  11. bottleneck

Tenson Moderator

If you have your Vista laptop when you are sitting on the sofa listening to music, why don't you just use that laptop to play the music? As said, you can stream the music wirelessly to your DAC so you don't need cables hanging off.

Anyway if you do want to view the screen of your netbook from the vista laptop over the network have a look at Team Viewer. A more simple program is Real VNC. Not sure which you will like more.

Tenson, Apr 15, 2011
Ask a Question