px4 is it the holy grail

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by giant haystacks, Nov 10, 2008.

1. giant haystacks

giant haystacks

Has anyone used listened to and compared any of the best triodes.
    I have tryed very hard to find the best sound and of course in weak amplification good valves do not make a diffarence .
    I dont know if anyone is interested in this subject.
    I have tryed type 45 valve ,2a3 ,6a3 ,and vt52 . this was done on quality amplification.
    I have mono plate, dual filament, box plate,
    Western electric ,Fivre ,Raytheon, Rca, and many more
    I havent tryed px4 yet but they are getting so expensive .
    Has anyone a similar intrest to mine. I think sometimes if you are to enthuastic about something people think you are a blow .
    I tryed to write on my local forum but zero intrest .
    There is a freedom and energy especially in the bass in finest single ended sound .
    There is so much bad single ended it is very easy to tar all with the same brush .

giant haystacks, Nov 10, 2008
  2. giant haystacks

anubisgrau

welcome here.... yes there should be some people around who might know the answer. i've personally never heard a px4 amp so can't join the discussion. so far my favourites are well executed SETs based on 10y and 2A3 families. haven't heard 45 thought. also heard a dramatically well executed 6C33C, very different from how it "normally" sounds. agree with your comment on the bass - the best i've heard in my life was produced by a SET, not a solid state.

anubisgrau, Nov 10, 2008
  3. giant haystacks

giant haystacks

I will explain where im coming from ,not from the start of course . About 10 years ago i got a Arion 300b which is all Border patrol transformers inside .
    Before i stoped reading hifi magazines i read in a Sonic frontiers kit review 300b -2a3 switchable that the 2a3 sounded better . Cary done a 2a3 amp but the uk distrubitor said it suited only classical music and that is where i left it.
    Purely by accident i heard single ended 2a3 this was indeed much better than 300b and i bought, and traded 300b to my friend who had klipsch horn, it had small valve front end using 417a-12bh7a-2a3
    a few years later my friend bought a type 45 amp and i bought a 6a3 amp which is fantastic it has it all some people say it is the finest they have ever heard ,so i was asking about px4 my amp is switchable from 6.3v to 4v for px4.
    I have quad 57s ,this amp is the finest match i have found so far.
    Some experimenting that we have done .
    the 300b we have tryed western electric, cetron, jj tesla ,kron ,
    The 2a3 amp is at its best now with 417a western electric ,12bh7a long black plate rca ,and mono plate 2a3 fivre italian valves
    the type 45 amplifier they are all mono plate valves the standard coke bottle shape and the globe shape
    the 6a3 amp i have used many valves in i have rca tungsol raytheon sylvania also vt52 western electric which work in this amp also.
    our findings 300b is beautiful wifefriendly sound and we only owned the jj tesla the others were from 2 diffarent owners obviously western electric was best, then kron, then jj tesla ,
    A good test for amplifiers is how they cope controling with 15 inch cone, A friend has Altec 604 .The type 45 amp won hands down of the first 3 amps .we did not get trying the 6a3 yet with this speaker the type 45 sounds bestwith globe valves in with klipsch horn a t amp would sound good . All for now hope i havent bored im only on my 2nd post so ill have to get some extra allowances.

giant haystacks, Nov 14, 2008
Ask a Question