Pye DVD Recorder in Asda

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by nsherin, Nov 29, 2005.

1. nsherin

nsherin In stereo nirvana...

Apparantly available for £60 or so and is actually a rebadged Philips model. I'll be getting one in the New Year for recording vinyl/radio broadcasts onto. Saves me faffing about with the PC and tying it up whilst recording. I can then extract the audio onto the Pc for editing and then burn down the CD.

I'll also be using it for recording VHS/Hi-8 tapes onto, then ripping the video down onto the PC for editing if required. For £60, it does eem like a bargain - especially if it's a rebadged Philips.

Oh - and a multi-region remote hack is available too, for those of us with legal Region 1 DVD collections!

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 29, 2005
    nsherin, Nov 29, 2005
  2. nsherin

Legzr1

This is a DVD recorder I take it?

Legzr1, Nov 29, 2005
  3. nsherin

Err yes! Oops - a typo or two when posting :) Thread title now fixed! :)

nsherin, Nov 29, 2005
  4. nsherin

Anex Thermionic

Cool. Shame its from sprawlmart.
    As an aside, can anyone recomend me a dvd player that actually plays region 1 dvds without screwing up? I've tried 2 pioneers and a few cheapies (including a pye :) ) and they all go wrong, the cheap ones drop frames, the pioneers leave the blue operation bar thing across the screen. I have a cartoon habit which usually means region 1

Anex, Nov 29, 2005
  5. nsherin

lAmBoY Lothario and Libertine

would that be a animee and manga habit?

my faves are ninja scrolls, fist of the north star, ghost in the shell. Usual suspects:)

lAmBoY, Nov 29, 2005
  6. nsherin

Legzr1

I bought a used Tosh SD900e multi-region without any problems playing the odd import disc I own.
    £250 - £300 should get a really clean one.
    No hdmi/dvi but very nice prog scan via component.

I have no other experience with different multi-region players i'm afraid.

Legzr1, Nov 29, 2005
  7. nsherin

HiFiWigWam Number 6

I had a marantz that worked very well. Shame, I sold it last month, you could have had it... But anyway, the Marant DVD players have a code you type into the remote to set the player to a particular region.

This means you do not have a multi region player as such (it is in this area that some problem can occur) For the duration of the play it is not mutli region at all, but simply whatever region you set it too.

Sorry to go on.. :D :D er try a Marantz. :)

HiFiWigWam, Nov 29, 2005
  8. nsherin

Anex Thermionic

Ok cheers, will have a look out on ebay. My pioneers did that code thing, still didn't work properly. Maybe I'll try again just to see
    No not Animee and Manga, the late night Cartoon Network and Nickelodian stuff in the US that for some reason we just don't get here, Harvey Birdman, Invader Zim (shown here but DVD region one only), Gary the Rat, Duckman (that one IS weird :) ) and that sort of thing. Also like collecting old cartoons, often the same deal.

Anex, Nov 29, 2005
  9. nsherin

PaulH

Marantz & Arcam have all been fine for me.

PaulH, Nov 30, 2005
  10. nsherin

For some reason I am strangely addicted to Yu Gi Oh.

The powers of Sky+ :S

lAmBoY, Nov 30, 2005
  11. nsherin

My Pioneer DV-350 (now sold to a mate) was bought multi-region modded. Never had any problems with my Region One DVDs in it.

nsherin, Nov 30, 2005
  12. nsherin

Rory satisfied

no probs with my pioneer 747a playing R1 discs too

Rory, Nov 30, 2005
  13. nsherin

Have managed to grab a DVD recorded in our Philips unit at work. Used DVD Decryptor to rip down the video/audio streams seperately. The AC-3 plug-in for Nero lets you burn the ripped audio stream to a CD. So I can burn to an image file, mount the image file as a virtual CD and rip back to WAV for editing before finally burning out to CD. This sounds more complex than it actually is.

You can also take the ripped audio/video streams straight into Nero Express and either edit from there and burn out to DVD or export as an AVI and use something like Premiere (with the Panasonic MPEG plug-in) to do more complex edits.

I'll definately be picking up a DVD recorder in the New Year - not having to use a PC for audio/video capture is a godsend, but still having the flexibility of using it as an editing tool is there. I'm very impressed at the simplicty - and all using free software or software that I already had to hand (Nero came with my DVD burner, DVD Decryptor is free)

nsherin, Nov 30, 2005
  14. nsherin

Anex Thermionic

yeah I like that one, theres something about it :)

Anex, Nov 30, 2005
  15. nsherin

also, new version of batman is pretty slick - but its missing the dark mood of the last one (and the music).

lAmBoY, Dec 1, 2005
  16. nsherin

hifikrazy

I would recommend not downloading DVD Decrypter as the developer was ordered to cease development and distribution. I would also uncheck the automatic update option within the program if you do already have it. There are other programs available that continue where DVD Decrypter left off.

"Since the domain dvddecrypter.com was turned over to the company that issued the cease and desist order, I strongly suggest that if you are using DVD Decrypter, go into the settings, click on the Events tab and uncheck "Check For Program Update" at your earliest convenience as the current owner might collect IP addresses for nasty purposes."

hifikrazy, Dec 1, 2005
  17. nsherin

Thanks - auto update is turned off.. I will add that I'm using this purely for personal use - i.e. conversion of vinyl to CD for own listening and also of camcorder tapes.

Any recommended replacements for DVD Decryptor?

nsherin, Dec 1, 2005
  18. nsherin

domfjbrown live & breathe psy-trance

What do you mean "blue operation bar"? My Pioneer 656A's been fine with all my R1 discs barring Road Trip, which is a disc fault rather than hardware fault (think the disc's deteriorating).

This Pye though - can you confirm it's a Philips? Could be tempting as I need to archive some VHS (Rik Mayall Presents, Loved up, etc) onto DVD and don't want to pay a lot for a DVD-R since Teleworst now have the Teleport thing for the odd time I miss a programme I want to watch.

domfjbrown, Dec 2, 2005
  19. nsherin

Anex Thermionic

The blue strip that goes across the screen when you use the remote- it tells you what you pressed, 'Forward x4' etc.
    Maybe its cause my pioneers are a few years old now as no one else seems to have problems. Hmmm. Perhaps I should ring pioneer up and ask them why its not working :D

Anex, Dec 2, 2005
  20. nsherin

shrink

ive had various mid to high end sony DVD players.. all have been flawless in multiregion. My denon DVD 2800 II is also perfect with all discs. also played with an older pioneer DV-717 for a while which was perfect in region 1 mode.

have never had any problems with any multiregion aspect of a player ive owned i must say.

shrink, Dec 2, 2005
Ask a Question