Quad 2. Increase input from Goldring deck into Quad 2.

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Terence D, Feb 8, 2019.

1. Terence D

Terence D

Hi I have just linked a Goldring GL75 deck , Shure cartridge, into a Quad 2 valve system . The pre amp has an R8 can . I find that I need the volume control at max for a decent sound so would like to know how to increase the output from the deck. With the Quad tuner volume control is 3.
    By the way, I still have the original deck , Garrard 301 with TPA10 pick up arm and GMC-5 stylus . What is the chance of finding a new stylus. Also the transformer can linked between stylus and amp. Would that amplify the output from my Goldring if I wired it in ?
    Anyway look forward to any advice.

Terence D, Feb 8, 2019
  2. Terence D

LiloLee Blah, Blah, Blah.........

What transformer is it that you are talking about? If it is a MM phono transformer then yes connect it up and then plug it into the tape or mic, and not the PU as the RIAA correction will applied twice.

LiloLee, Mar 8, 2019
  3. Terence D

Terence D

The coil fitted between the garrard stylus and Quad pre amp is a transformer in a can.
    It’s refered to as a coupling transformer T.P.1 The primary of the coil is connected to the pick up arm ( garrard moving coil pick up type GMC -5 ) and the secondary to the input of the pre amp
    I think I have seen that the primary coil has a resistance of a few ohms and the secondary mega ohms.
    So would connecting this to the Goldring deck increase its output .

Regards

Terence D, Mar 19, 2019
  4. Terence D

sktn77a

You cant use an moving coil step up transformer to increase the output of a moving magnet cartridge.

sktn77a, Jul 1, 2019
Ask a Question