quad 33

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by john mugan, Jul 26, 2006.

1. john mugan

john mugan

Hi there, I have recently resurected my Quad 33/303 and have lost the 5 pin din lead for control to power amps. I have tried a standard lead but this just produces dreadful noise from my speakers. Does anyone out there know how to wire up a lead to connect these components up. I know I can get one from e bay but I would like to make my own. Thanks ,jpm

john mugan, Jul 26, 2006
  2. john mugan

RobHolt Moderator

Pete (Zanash) uses Quad and is a whizz at the cable game.
    PM him and I'm sure he'll advise.

RobHolt, Jul 26, 2006
  3. john mugan

john mugan

Thanks for your quick response, Rob. I am new to this forum game, I am from the age of steam wireless, what's PM please

john mugan, Jul 26, 2006
  4. john mugan

mr cat Member of the month

PM = Private Message

click on the 'user options' above then click the 'send new message' link...but no doubt Zanash will be along sometime today anyway... :D

mr cat, Jul 26, 2006
  5. john mugan

Jampot

Jampot, Jul 27, 2006
  6. john mugan

lordsummit moderate mod

Flashback cables are great. I used them when I had Quads

lordsummit, Jul 27, 2006
  7. john mugan

la toilette Downright stupid

Me too, very quick and helpful. In fact IIRC the guy that runs it made a bespoke cable for a friend of mine free of charge (to go between a Quad 34 or 44 and Quad II's I think, but not positive) because he didn't have anything suitable in stock. Now that's helpful :D .

la toilette, Jul 27, 2006
  8. john mugan

TonyL Club Krautrock Plinque

This sounds more than a little odd – the 33/303 pre/power link is a 4 pin to 4 pin DIN, i.e. if yours has a 5 pin DIN then your amp has been modified in some way.

Tony.

TonyL, Jul 27, 2006
  9. john mugan

john mugan

It looks as though it has been fitted with new 5 pin sockets. I bought it second hand some years ago. It does sound a little odd but that just about sums me up. jpm

john mugan, Jul 28, 2006
  10. john mugan

TonyL Club Krautrock Plinque

This presents you with a problem as there are obviously several ways a 5 pin plug can be wired up. As you didn’t do the mod yourself you will have to reverse engineer it to find out how it’s been done, i.e. it is pointless buying a lead until you know what configuration it is. It shouldn’t be too hard to figure out – you will have either three or four wires connected depending on whether the returns are in common, i.e. a L & R signal and either a common return (possibly via the cable screen) or a separate L return & R return. I should know this but I’m afraid I’ve completely forgotten – my first amp was a 33/303 and I did upgrade the pre/power link with some better quality cable that I soldered up myself, but I’m buggered if I can remember the config (it was over 25 years ago!). If it were my amp I'd work out what is what and rewire the sockets on the 33 and 303 to be compatible with a standard 5 pin DIN, which from what you say your's isn't.

Tony.

TonyL, Jul 28, 2006
  11. john mugan

john mugan

I have been giving this some thought and it does look like I will have to diy it, it's all very strange. I too am buggered if I can remember what I had done to this amp. I think i will have to trace the wires and make something up,unless I can remember the name of the chappie that did the repair, or unless he is reading this topic , he lived in Durrington ,West Sussex. one never knows. Thanks to all who replied to this, very helpful.
    jpm

john mugan, Aug 2, 2006
Ask a Question