Quad 405

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by white-socks, Apr 28, 2009.

1. white-socks

RobHolt Moderator

Yes you can, it will just have slightly less headroom than when driving a benign 6-8 ohm load. Much depends on where the 4-6 ohm speaker drops to 4 ohms. A 405 will still drive a 4 Ohm load - depends how loud you need to play.

RobHolt, May 1, 2009
  2. white-socks

felix part-time Horta

I'll qualify that a little: the speaker needs an impedance that remains benign, fro best results. A reactive 4ohm speaker will not be a happy match, because the possibility of equivalent 2-3ohm loading will seriously compromise dynamics, esp. in the bass - because of the current-limiting.

(lesson learned the hard way by my brother with a pair of Kef 104/2s and a 405... demonstarbly, easily outgunned by a NAP 140, all 32w of it.)

So very much 'suck it and see'. But yes, a 'parallelling' kit will help here somewhat.

felix, May 1, 2009
  3. white-socks

white-socks

Thanks for your replys. I shall have these 405's by Tuesday.

Let you all know how I get on.

Bye

Shane

P.S What preamps goes very well with the 405?

white-socks, May 2, 2009
  4. white-socks

RobHolt Moderator

The ones it was designed for look the best and sound pretty good too IMO. These are the 34 & 44. The 405 was actually introduced while the older 33 pre was still around but those are pretty old now and will need servicing. I use a (serviced) 34 and can't hear anything amiss.

Input sensitivity is higher than many of today's designs so best not to partner it with something with excessively high output, or a noisy output.

Passives can work well (keep the interconnects short and low capacitance) and that lovely CJ Pre you have should also work well.

RobHolt, May 2, 2009
  5. white-socks

white-socks

I received my Quad 405 poweramps yesterday. connected them to my TDL speakers and WOW!! These speakers really sing with these amps. Sound is nice, smooth, warm and dynamic. And the vocals has a very nice Presentation. This is the first time I have heard the best out of these TDL speakers. And please note these Quad 405 amps have been modified with modern components for today's standards. And these amps are bridged into 200W.

Anyway, I am still tempted to try out a good sized bookshelf speaker. I keep seeing people saying the Rogers LS7 goes well with the Quad. Any views on these here?

Last edited by a moderator: May 13, 2009
    white-socks, May 13, 2009
Ask a Question