quad 99 cdp upgrades

Discussion in 'DIY Discussion' started by mickm, Feb 27, 2008.

1. mickm

mickm

does anyone know of any upgrades that can be done to this unit im reluctant to sell but looking to upgrade im running it direct using the internal volume control to a pair of nuforce refrence 9v2 monos , can the volume - pre stage be upgraded any surggestions welcome :)

mickm, Feb 27, 2008
  2. mickm

DavidF

welcome (again)

pete!! (again)

DavidF, Feb 27, 2008
  3. mickm

zanash

well.....yes but its already pretty good ...you'd need to splash out some serious cash get a better pre/dac cdp combo

I've had my 99cdp upgraded to cdp2 status ...this does help performance ...giving a more relaxed presentation.

you can allways use better cables which will lift the performance!

zanash, Feb 27, 2008
  4. mickm

mickm

quad 99 dcp

hi thanks , what cable would you surgest upgrading im running dynaflux ensemble interconnects and vdh mainstream mains cable the area im interested in improving is the bass , running proac 2s loudspeakers which do not go very low but ive had better bass from them with the same cables and amps but running a talk 3.1b cd player again direct from built in volume control but did not like the rest of the talk players presentation find the quad much more musical just a little wooly in the bass , does anyone think adding a pre amp would improve on the built in volume control of the quad

mickm, Feb 27, 2008
  5. mickm

zanash

there decent enough cables ...the quad's musical but it doesn't have a huge bass .....the transport upgrade my tighten things up ..

I've tried passives [stepped attenuator] from the fixed output and yes different from the variable to the amps but essentialy the same.

you could try the cd lathe ....I've had very good results with the quad ...pm me if your wanting more info.

zanash, Feb 27, 2008
  6. mickm

mickm

thanks for that i may look into the transport upgrade any idea of the cost , yes you have my interest what is the cd lathe

mickm, Feb 27, 2008
  7. mickm

DavidF

Mick, have you looked into (dare i say it), :eek:, vibration managment......?

I've got (imo) big sonic benefits here.

DavidF, Feb 27, 2008
  8. mickm

Tenson Moderator

Mick if you want better bass you should really be looking at your speaker/room interaction.

Consider, in no particular order:

1)Speaker positioning (speaker positioning calculators can help a lot)
    2)Digital room correction (TacT or Behringer DEQ)
    3)Acoustic treatments (bass traps in room corners help boom and tighten the sound)

Search google for articles about acoustics and start reading! ;)

Tenson, Feb 27, 2008
  9. mickm

mickm

thanks to all for the advise , i will look into all the options and consider the best one from a priority and cash point a view , david what vibration control do you surgest , at the moment i use a block rack , each shelf for the amps and player i have granite slabs sitting on sorbathene feet , a cheap option but one that certainly give improvments on just the std glass shelf , speakers are the same target stands sitting on granite slabs the stands spikes fit into solid iron block feet i had made which raise the speaker by about 2 inches to bring the tweeter virtualy to ear level the base of these have been fitted with hard rubber to stop any movment on the granite ive also had the tops drilled for the spikes to fit into and stops any movment , ive considered oak feet as an option and others but not alot of views to back up the cost of some of the more exotic stuff ? cheers mick

mickm, Feb 28, 2008
  10. mickm

DavidF

:respect:

By the sounds of it I am preaching to the converted!!

(I use the term loosely of course :eek: )

From personal experience I HAVE gained success from Oak (cones esp)....also balsa.......

:duck:

....before any one says, this is NOT a personal sales drive for my cones.....I'm just saying I've found it a prolific route to go down

:cool:.

The more, in fcat the better!

Oak is well reputed for its vibration absorbing qualities; its underneath my Dads canal boat engine.....a big two cylinder Bollinger.

DavidF, Feb 29, 2008
  11. mickm

mickm

cheers david i will certainly give oak feet a try and see if they bring any improvments would you use instead of the granite or as well as , mick

mickm, Feb 29, 2008
  12. mickm

DavidF

Mick,

There are 101 games you can play with mass and vibration isolation and dissipation.

I ahve been experimenting with oak cones using 16mm ball bearings, housed in a hole routed in the top. The only way I could get the precise semi circular shape I wanted was to use a router bit.

I use dremmel bit to polish the inside of this hole, yes I know it sounds a bit......:eek: but the results are there......:cool:.....

My cd palyer has two granite slabs attached to he bottom (blutack and lots of it), followed by three cones (wih BBs) these rest on a slab of oak, followed by three more cones etc.....then the rack shelf.

This time next week it may well be diff again :rolleyes:.

:)

DavidF, Mar 1, 2008
Ask a Question