Quad 99 fronting a Nap 200?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Mr_Sukebe, Jul 15, 2004.

1. Mr_Sukebe

Mr_Sukebe

Chaps,

Earlier this year there was a bake off, where we had a Quad 99 vs CD5i, and a CD5/hicap.
    The rest of the kit was 82/hicap/250/B&Ws.

Overall the CD5/hicap came out on top, but then you'd probably expect that in a Naim setup and bearing in mind the price difference. As new, the Cd5/hicap would cost double the 99 and nearly treble the 5i.

What did strike me is how well the Quad 99 came across. It didn't have the "energy and funk" of the 5i, or the control of the CD5/hicap, but tonality was much better and overall it certainly aquitted itself well.

What I did wonder is whether anyone has tried running a 99 directly into a Naim power amp and if so, how it would compare to using a pre-amp like the 82.
    The 99 has a built in volume control, which in many products are not that hot. I wonder whether Quad might have done a better job, and might give it an advantage by ignoring the pre-amp completely.

As I have no other sources plugged into my own system, would be an interesting way to save some dosh. I had considered running the 99 directly into my Nap 200/Kabers. For one thing, I could easily sell my CD5i/hicap/112 for more than the 99.

Expanding on that, chances are I could sell the 5i, hicap and 112 for around £1300. Anybody got any good recommendations of a s/h CDP with a built in vol control that is available for that amount of dosh?
    I'm guessing that a Wadia "might" be possible for that.

Any thoughts?

Mr_Sukebe, Jul 15, 2004
  2. Mr_Sukebe

Philip King Enlightened User

Yup a happy Wadia user here, although I'm using a DAC/Pre with a transport so not really a one box solution.

I have heard and totally recommend the Advantage S1 CD player with built in Pre. Sounded great plugged directly into a pair of Bladelius amps. Central Audio have an S1 on sale for £1500.

Philip King, Jul 15, 2004
  3. Mr_Sukebe

merlin

Michael,

If you can stretch to the cost of the CD5/HiCap, maybe look out for an ex demo Opus 21 - 'twil surprise you ;)

merlin, Jul 15, 2004
  4. Mr_Sukebe

dominicT former member

I tried the 99CDP with a 99 and 909 power amps vs a Unico integrated and thought that the 99CDP lost nothing to the Unico so I bought the 99/909 combo. Dominic

dominicT, Jul 15, 2004
Ask a Question