Quad 99cdp mk1 > mk2

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by zanash, Jul 18, 2006.

1. zanash

zanash

As I've just been on my hols and passed Quad HQ on route .....I thought it a good move to take my venerable Quad 99cdp and have it retro upgraded to mk2 status.

This involves the replacment of the the old transport to the new "in house" one. I think this was developed because stocks of the old transport had dried up. When they looked round for an alternative it seemed all that was available were dvd types. This unit was designed to get the very best from cd only and ignore other formats. Maybe someone else can add more to this ?

So I've now hooked it up and from the very first note I can hear more detail, infact it does more of everything. Maybe i should say less of the music is lost and mutilated. In sound terms, the flavour has not changed but the varrious threads of the music are now much clearer, multiple instraments are now obvious unlike before it.

The upgrade by my standards is not cheap £250 ish, but I can now see why many commentators have thought the mk2 significantly outperform the mk1's.

Am I pleased ....you bet

So if you have a 99mk1 what are you waiting for ? ....go get the new transport fitted.

zanash, Jul 18, 2006
  2. zanash

anubisgrau

in my part of the world, a brand new 99 CDP-2 costs 660 pounds (990E). i am wondering if there is anything to beat this player at this money? i'm kinda looking for a long term solution with a CDP to play with my ATC 20 actives.

anubisgrau, Jul 24, 2006
  3. zanash

zanash

Yes but you would need to spend significantly more......

I heard a shanling cdp the one that looks like a space station ....it was significantly better but at four times the price.

zanash, Jul 25, 2006
  4. zanash

anubisgrau

no, i was talking about 1000 Euros (670 pounds) price range.

anubisgrau, Jul 25, 2006
  5. zanash

zanash

The point Iwas making was that to get better you would need to spend a lot more.

The 99 is very good ....though some of the chinese stuff coming through has its merits. The Eastsound e5 is about 80% the way to the mk1 99cdp the cdp99mk2 will outperform it [I've done a one to one against it before the upgrade]

zanash, Jul 25, 2006
  6. zanash

anubisgrau

E5 worse than CDP-1? many won't agree...:)

anubisgrau, Jul 26, 2006
  7. zanash

zanash

Jimbo has the E5 .....ask him

The moded lite dac AH was also better than the dac stage in the E5.......in his system.

The E5 is good but when you open it up you can see its short comings.......

zanash, Jul 26, 2006
  8. zanash

Jimbo

Hi yes heard Zanash's player before the upgrade and it is a smoother sound but hard to compare as we have differant kit. The Esound is not bad for the money and it will outperform a lot of other costlier players perhaps twice its price if bought from China. Did try the modded dac-Ah and was big improvement in dynamics of instruments and voices. In fact they seemed to jump out of the speakers like a 3d affect. Jimbo.

Jimbo, Jul 26, 2006
  9. zanash

zanash

not that the E5 is bad ...its a lot going for it. I liked the sounds it made.

Jimbo ..did you get it sorted ?

zanash, Jul 26, 2006
  10. zanash

wadia-miester Mighty Rearranger

I think Pete, your crystals need re-alinging with the 3rd cosmos, The esound with no silver cables is rather good.

wadia-miester, Jul 26, 2006
  11. zanash

Jimbo

Yes had the new transport fitted within about a week, only took a few days delivered from China. You have pm by the way. Jimbo.

Jimbo, Jul 26, 2006
  12. zanash

zanash

Wm.....maybe you should reread my coments.

Jimbo has agreed that it sounds good in his system but not as good as the quad .....you can only go by your ears, not an inflated reputation.

If you don't know what your talking about vis-a-vi alternative "energies" I'd suggest you tone down the mocking........as you may find your vocalising in conjunction with Uranus.

Remember.......... 30 years ago people mocked accupuncture now its an accepted threapy used by many.

zanash, Jul 27, 2006
Ask a Question