Quad CD and preamp

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by MickyP, Nov 16, 2013.

1. MickyP

MickyP

I'm after a 99 pre amp and wondered what the preamp circuitry (and CD!) is like in the Quad CD player? is it basically the same with a CD added? And how competent is the CD player?

* Think I might have answered my own question. It has a digital pre amp circuit. That correct? So different to the 99 pre amp.

MickyP, Nov 16, 2013
  2. MickyP

RobHolt Moderator

Yes the CD player has a digital pre built in and can drive a power amp directly. There is also a cheaper CD player only version too so be sure to get the right version.

The electronics in either will have all sonic aberrations below audibility in normal use, so no need to worry at all.
    You could possibly contrive a test to differentiate them very slightly, but fortunately we don't listen under such contrived conditions :)

RobHolt, Nov 16, 2013
  3. MickyP

MickyP

Oh, that's not good...

99 pre amp connected to 909 monos and sounding great. After an hour I get distortion on one channel. Swap my Musical Fidelity back and it's fine. I noticed in Standby it hums, presumably because it's not using the Quadlink.

Going to email Quad service dept, just wondered if it sounded expensive. :rolleyes:

MickyP, Nov 25, 2013
  4. MickyP

MickyP

It should be delivered tomorrow according to Rob F at Quad. New transformer, two new caps, new instruction booklet and next day courier £115. Great service!

MickyP, Dec 19, 2013
  5. MickyP

Tenson Moderator

That's very reasonable given the new transformer :)

Did they find something wrong then, causing the distortion after some time? Maybe a poor heatsink connection?

Tenson, Dec 20, 2013
  6. MickyP

MickyP

Ooops, still intermittently distoring on one channel, so they're picking it up in New Year. Guess it's hard to trace if it doesn't play up when they have it. :-(

MickyP, Dec 22, 2013
Ask a Question