Quadrophonic LPs

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by eisenach, Jul 18, 2005.

1. eisenach

eisenach

EMI produced lots of classical Quadrophonic LPs in the 70s, and I have quite a few, although I've only ever played them in stereo. It's just occured to me that since I now have a TAG McLaren AV32R, one of the surround matrices may be compatible with the encoding. I've tried the TMA matrix, which seems just as heavy-handed as ever, whilst the ProLogic Music setting sounded ok.
    Was it just doing its usual stuff with stereo recordings, though, or was it making use of the SQ encoding? How can I find out? If it's not decoding SQ, does anyone know what else can be done to get it decoded. Hell, I don't even know whether you needed a special cartridge set-up, though I don't think this was the case. Any comments gratefully received.

eisenach, Jul 18, 2005
  2. eisenach

narabdela

You didn't need a special cartridge for SQ and QS. There were quadrophonic discs with four discrete channels (JVC I think) which did need a special cartridge.

Some info here and here

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 18, 2005
    narabdela, Jul 18, 2005
Ask a Question