Query Was Western Electric First?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by nando, Apr 19, 2011.

1. nando

nando nando

the tannoy development of the dual concentric 15" driver from the sd5's using the idea fixing the speaker onto the back of the cd4 magnets? that the sd5'scame out of these magnets, using a crossover of 1,100 hz?

nando, Apr 19, 2011
  2. nando

RobHolt Moderator

Joseph, like many others I suspect, I don't know the history or the link with WE.
    Can you give us some more detail?

RobHolt, Apr 20, 2011
  3. nando

nando nando

stan livingstone and norman mourdaunt who it apears the break for both to design the perfect 15" dual concentric loudspeaker and made a luxery model of the DECOLA wich they decided to call it "THE KNIGHTSBRIDGE " and then western union supossed to perfected in profesianal use the original 15" tannoy dual concentric , ideas fist from guy and harman, now i am puzzled, as i have done some research i also find archives that J.B LANSING was involved, so who was the inventologist of the HPD dual concentric!!!?

nando, Apr 20, 2011
  4. nando

pete693

Tannoy

Found this on an American site , don't know if it helps or just adds to your confusion.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Larry Crane
    Altec built the 604 Duplex Speaker, which is inside the Big Red. Did Tannoy build the cabs and load them with Altec 604's? I've been searching "the internets" and getting a lot of jumbled info...
    QUOTES AND ASIDES...

The Big Speaker was made by Tannoy, a high-end British company which is still in business. The name came from material used in an early rectifier product in 1926 - "Tantalum-Lead Alloy." They supplied so much PA equipment that for a long time "Tannoy" was a generic word for the public address speakers in train stations, Army camps, and places like that.

After Altec invented the Duplex 2-way [err 1944], where a tweeter nests inside a woofer cone, Tannoy developed its own Dual Concentric line in 1947. Engineer Ronnie H. Rackham designed a unique setup in which the tweeter's horn development was continued by a specially shaped, and expensive, woofer cone.

These came in colors. First was the Monitor Black with a 1 kHz chassis-mounted crossover. In 1953 came the Monitor Silver, with 25 watts power handling and an external crossover. Next came the Monitor Red in 1957, now 50 watts, and the Monitor Gold in 1967. Finally came 1974's HPD ("High Performance Dual"), with more modern materials.

AND THEN

Altec continued improving the 604 through the years, and the drivers have been used in numerous variants, either in stock “utility†cabinets, custom enclosures, modified third-party designs (Big Reds) or with an alternate crossover such as Doug Sax's Mastering Labs model. The affinity for the 604 may have waned in the studio, but it later regained popularity as the basis for UREI's 811/813/815

so Big Speaker Monitor Reds and BIG REDS are different and hence yours and others confusion

we had 604e drivers in cab's we made from audio encyclopedia specs and then bought a pair or two of BIG REDS [altec drivers]
    hope i helped you clear things up

Pete

pete693, Apr 20, 2011
  5. nando

nando nando

thanks pete, i always saw the resemblance in atec lansing hence my query,

nando, Apr 21, 2011
Ask a Question