Question about wall mounting speakers

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by PBirkett, May 8, 2005.

1. PBirkett

PBirkett VTEC Addict

Hi guys,

Just moved into my new place, and the hifi has gone in the bedroom. Unfortunately, i had to get rid of the Rega Ela's, and in their place I have here some Tannoy 631 SE's... but really, they need to go on the wall. They are rear ported though, and seem to be relatively heavy, probably more than 6 kg each at a rough guess (I havent weighed them) so I am wondering whether its worth keeping them and try to mount them on the wall - they'd be going into a main wall as opposed to a partition wall.

Is it worth it to keep them or should I look for something else... and if it is worth keeping them, what wall brackets would you recommend?

They seem to sound alright, but they are just on my window sill at the moment, and thats not practical in the longer term.

Cheers

PBirkett, May 8, 2005
  2. PBirkett

PBirkett VTEC Addict

Nobody has anything to say huh?

PBirkett, May 8, 2005
  3. PBirkett

zanash

Speakers with rear ports tend to need a bit of air round them....unless you like a real bass heavy presentation. I'd look at mini momitor in the mold of LS 3/5a's.

zanash, May 9, 2005
  4. PBirkett

julian2002 Muper Soderator

try it. most wall brackets are universal so if they don;t work, flog 'em and buy something else.
    cheers

julian.

julian2002, May 9, 2005
  5. PBirkett

Goomer

Hi Paul

I bought some of these:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=96957&item=5762331996

for use mounting my rear speakers in my A/V set up. They're rated as being able to carry upto 14 kilos, from memory (although, to be honest, I'd feel slightly worried about that sort of weight on them - around 10kilos seems more realistic), and are doing a sterling job - not the fanciest by any means, but the platforms can be swivelled which is very handy and the welding looks neat and solid too.

My rears are Acoustic Energy 300c's and are front ported, and were bought as 'b' stock direct from the factory for £40.00. I've just checked their website and it looks like they've sold them all, which is a shame as I'm sure they'd suit.

I know target did other wall mounts with upward facing spikes, which have more mounting holes but which are probably designed for a Linn Kan type speaker, as you have to have the speakers with their backs flat to the wall.

For the money (£15.00 including postage), it's probably worth picking up a pair from ebay and giving them a go.

Good luck with it,

Chris.

Goomer, May 9, 2005
  6. PBirkett

MO! MOnkey`ead!

Paul, I'd try placing the speakers up against the wall similar to how they'd be when MOunted to see how the stand sound. This should give you an idea if they'll work with the brackets before forking out.

MO!, May 9, 2005
  7. PBirkett

ellisonwales

Ive always wall mounted speakers , with a set of AVF wall mounts from argos..currently £19.99.(cataloge number 534/3425 for silver and 534/4565 for black)They hold up to 20 kg and can be tilted to about a 45 degree downward angle.I currently have epos m12.2 on them and they sound very good.I have used MA b2s (front ported) and tannoy m 2.5s which are rear ported on them in the past.Ive never personally had any problems with the sound from either.
    ellison

ellisonwales, May 9, 2005
  8. PBirkett

PBirkett VTEC Addict

Thanks for the thoughts, I am trying to buy some Kytes with wall brackets off PFM, havent heard anything yet, but my fingers are crossed :)

PBirkett, May 9, 2005
  9. PBirkett

nsherin In stereo nirvana...

Sounds good. What amp will you run them with, as I thought you'd sold the Rotel?

nsherin, May 9, 2005
  10. PBirkett

PBirkett VTEC Addict

I got that back!! :D :JPS:

PBirkett, May 10, 2005
  11. PBirkett

domfjbrown live & breathe psy-trance

Kytes'll be a piece of p1ss to mount as they're front ported, and even on fairly meaty amps, the front ports don't "fart" like you'd expect small ports to. Just don't put the Kytes in the corners of the room and you'll be fine. Actually, they might WELL work OK in the corners - they need a bit of help in the bass (though they're not "bright" or "shrill" per se).

Mine (on fairly crappy stands at the time) sounded fantastic with anything with a good rhythmic drive :)

domfjbrown, May 10, 2005
  12. PBirkett

lordsummit moderate mod

Kytes rock. Here endeth todays lesson. Probably my favourite speaker of all time, if only they had a tad more bass, and could fill a bigger room

lordsummit, May 10, 2005
  13. PBirkett

PBirkett VTEC Addict

My room is tiny, literally only just enough space for my double bed, a clothes rack, a chest of drawers, a computer desk and a chair, and even then, I have to be a contortionist to move around :lol:

The Tannoys I am using at the moment are quite small speakers, like Wharfedale Diamond 8.1 size, and they are quite boomy, so I think it'll work well :)

PBirkett, May 10, 2005
  14. PBirkett

domfjbrown live & breathe psy-trance

Your room sounds like my old one in Reading; had the Kytes, NAIT3, and some other bits in there, and they kicked ass! Not enough space to swing a guide dog (to have a look around)! I can be un-PC though since I'm "visually impaired" :)

domfjbrown, May 12, 2005
Ask a Question