question for scidb

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Lt Cdr Data, Nov 10, 2003.

1. Lt Cdr Data

Lt Cdr Data om

you have a fair bit o stuff....

what are your fave bits of each type?

Lt Cdr Data, Nov 10, 2003
  2. Lt Cdr Data

SCIDB Moderator

Hi Data,

There are a number of items that I like owning.

The Border Patrol single ended is one of my faves. This is an amp that goes against the grain for amp design. It's a valve amp that uses technology from the near the start of last century to the 1930. The first amps were single ended. The 300B were released in the 1930s but were based on valves which dated around 1910. It uses old ideas in the power supply which had gone out of fashion. (Choke input power supplies). It has items that you don't see in a lot of amps. (like interstage transformers.)

It looks different to most things on the market. I like the performance & it has never failed to impress the ladies. :D

I like the look of the Townshend Rocks that I own. These were designs which were that bit diffferent to most turntables. I meet Max Townshend in the early 80's at a hifi show in Sheffield. An interesting chap. A bit of a show man when explaining his ideas. I was sold on the idea.

I also like the Avid Acutus as this gives me the best overall sound & looks the biz.

The Living Voice avatars OBXs are speakers that I like the look of & give good all round performance. I can plonk these on the end of various bits of kit & get good results.

The Horning speakers that I have are quirky & different.

The Impulse H6 horns are a beguiling speaker. This is something I want to go further into. (Horns).

The Audio Innovations First Audio 6B4G monos amps are the longest owned amps still my collection. (I've had these since abount 1990). Built in old series 800 cases. They put me on the triode path.

The Revox tape decks are always go to play around with.

The Chord dac64 has expaned my cd collection.

The Audio Synthesis remote passive has shown me the delights of remote control pre amps.

These are a few of my favourite thing.

& my favourite bits of kit..................my umpteen thousand pieces of vinyl & cds. Where would I be without them.

SCIDB

SCIDB, Nov 11, 2003
  3. Lt Cdr Data

Lt Cdr Data om

interesting reply...how is the sjs arcadia? comapred to your other pres? one going s/hand

had impulse h2s..one of the best I have heard.

Lt Cdr Data, Nov 11, 2003
  4. Lt Cdr Data

SCIDB Moderator

Hi Data,

The SJS Arcadia is still very fine. This is the best valve pre in my collection & one of the best I have used. The Audio Synthesis is better. Being a passive it has no power supply noise. It has high quality resistors in the signal path in a stepped attenuator arrangement. It works well with the amps I have. (High input impedance, sensitive inputs). I find the resolution & detail steps up a few gears with the Synthesis. This gives better insight to the music & more enjoyment. It also has a sexy looking remote control. :cool:

The SJS Arcadia is an item ear marked for some modding in the new year. I do think they make very good 2nd hand buys. The model two is the better one. I won't be selling mine just yet.

I wouldn't mind hunting down a pair of H2s, a job for the new year.

SCIDB

SCIDB, Nov 11, 2003
Ask a Question