Questions about Naim CD5, somebody help?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by tao, Jan 13, 2009.

1. tao

tao

Hi, everyone, I recently bought a second-hand Naim CD5 cd player. I have only my computer speakers(with amp integrated) in my place. For testing it, I bought a DIN to 3.5mm jack lead and connected the player and the speakers with it. I found that, even I turned the speakers to the max volume, the sound of the music was still too low, even hardly to hear.:(:(

I tried to google for the reason, people say, cd players work fine with computer speakers, but no one mentions cd players with DIN ports.

Somebody knows is that a good cd player or not? I really need to find this out in case it is a faulty one, I have to return it.:eek:

Another question, I found this photo, which shows a device covered on the left two of the 3 din ports behind a Naim CD5. Does anybody know what is this for? :confused::confused:
    [​IMG]

Thank you very much

tao, Jan 13, 2009
  2. tao

Corruption

Can't help with your first question I'm afraid. As far as the plastic cover goes, the right-hand DIN input of the two is for an external Power Supply Unit such as a FlatCap or HiCap available from Naim, these are an upgrade to the power supply inside the CD player.

You should leave the plastic cover in place unless you intend to connect one of these PSUs.

Regards

Neil

Corruption, Jan 13, 2009
  3. tao

tao

Thank you Neil:)

I do not have the cover, do you think it will or not affect the quality of the sound of my system? (something like bringing in interference)

Regards,

Tao

tao, Jan 13, 2009
  4. tao

lbr monkey boy

I've owned a Naim amp but never a Naim CD player. However, I doubt the absence of that bit of plastic would cause the problem you experience.

Maybe you've got a duff cable? I've got a Naim - Phono lead that I know is good - if you're anywhere near the Hampshire / Berkshire border, I'd be happy to lend you that so you could troubleshoot some.

lbr, Jan 14, 2009
  5. tao

FrankDeckard

I've owned a few pieces of Naim over the years and the plastic piece should not cause the volume to be so low. Can you run the CD5 into a receiver/integrated and another pair of speakers using a DIN/RCA cable?

The CD5 has a fairly high output if I am not losing my memory.

Puzzling.

FrankDeckard, Jan 14, 2009
  6. tao

felix part-time Horta

That CD5 has a standard 2v rms line output level. Check the pin-out of the lead you have bought against that given in the CD5 manual (the DIN plugs use different pins depending on whether you are using tehm to take asignal form the source, or send it to anoteh recording device eg tape deck). the CD5 manual can be downloaded from Naim's website it yoy need one.

The link plug connects the internal PSU to the output stage. If you use one of the add-one Naim power supplies (eg flatcap or Hicap) then the lead from this supply goes into the AUX socket.
    The cover is simply to stop you using both a link plug and the offbaord supply at the same time. Set up as shown in the photo will work just fine, but you must have either the link plug installed or a separate supply to get any sound out!

felix, Jan 14, 2009
  7. tao

muzzer

As Felix says you must have the link plug in place if you are not using an external psu.

muzzer, Jan 14, 2009
  8. tao

tao

I'd to say thank you very much to everyone here.

The reason for the problem is now clear. Just as what you told me, I need the plastic thing (the link plug) to make the player work on itself.

I am now considering to buy a link plug on ebay or refund the machine.

Thank you everyone, you are so kind.

Regards,
    Tao

tao, Jan 14, 2009
Ask a Question