Quick Arcam question?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by phil_in_swansea, Jan 20, 2008.

1. phil_in_swansea

phil_in_swansea Clueless but keen

I am running an Arcam CD62 cdp and a pair of Wharfedale Diamond 9.1s. Not high end audio I appreciate but it is horses for courses and all I want is to get the best sound I can WITHIN a budget I can justify for my playroom.

I am currently running an old Arcam Alpha5 on loan, sounds amazing for a lot of what I listen to and offers nice seperation and great voicing. It does get a bit muddy in the low mids when everyone is rocking out but I think I can live with that for a trial period at least.

My question is, which of the Arcam's would offer me the best sound for approx £200 uk pounds ($400 usd).

The older Alpha 9 - older but higher up the range? (£180)
    A mid range Alpha 8R - R models are slightly newer (£150)
    An entry level Diva A65 - more recent but entry level (£200)
    I would consider the A85 at £400 if it were a garaunteed solution, but feel I may have to audition that, and auditioning is not an option unless a mate has one!

As an aside, if anyone has solved this with a different amp without losing voicing then my ears are open.

Thanks.

phil_in_swansea, Jan 20, 2008
  2. phil_in_swansea

technobear Ursine Audiophile

The 'R' stands for remote control :)

I had an 8R. It's a good amp for the money.

Sounds even better if bi-amped with an 8P ;)

Muddy midrange is one of the prices you pay with budget speakers.

A used pair of Mission 773e would be a good option. Forget the other 77's but the 773e is a gem.

technobear, Jan 20, 2008
  3. phil_in_swansea

Tenson Moderator

For £200 I'd say get a Cyrus 3 (not 3i) off eBay. Superb amps.

Tenson, Jan 20, 2008
  4. phil_in_swansea

LinearMan

I've had a pair of 9.1s in the past ~ very good for the money. I'd have to disagree on the midrange comment above, I found the 9.1s one of the better performers in this area for a lower cost item (I dislike the word 'budget', most people have a budget ~ it may be £5K but it remains a budget. Very few people truly don't have a budget, whether it is for hi-fi, cars, whatever).

I'd try a move away from Arcam on the amp front. Take a look at a Rega Brio, or something from Creek perhaps? For example:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/CREEK-AUDIO-4...oryZ3280QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Not mine, but I did have one (still used by a friend) many years ago. Cracking amp.

LinearMan, Jan 23, 2008
Ask a Question