Quick opinion on a some NADs

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Heavymental, Aug 17, 2007.

1. Heavymental

Heavymental

Couple of units for sale on the intranet at work. Just a quick shout out to see if they're worth a shot. He's after £20 a unit which seems reasonable?

His email below.....

No boxes sorry, they're about 10 year old but are in really good condition. They both have remote controls and I guess you'll find further details on the web.

Model numbers are:

The CD player is a NAD 502

The AM/FM receiver is a NAD 705

Heavymental, Aug 17, 2007
  2. Heavymental

Heavymental

No thoughts?!
    I could do with letting him know before the end of the day!

Heavymental, Aug 17, 2007
  3. Heavymental

SCIDB Moderator

Hi,

The cd player had some good press 10 years or so ago. Nad have made reasonable amps over the years. The 702 should be a winner for the money. There has been problems with the display light on some but shouldn't be a problem to fix.

Should be good for a punt. See if he will barter. Offer him less, say £30 for the lot. £40 should be ok if in top nick & fully working.

SCIDB

SCIDB, Aug 17, 2007
  4. Heavymental

Heavymental

Cheers SCIDB. Worth a shot isn't it. Tried my luck with the £30 offer so I'll wait and see what he says. Can't go wrong for that money really. I want it to give as a present to a friend so its not for me anyway. I think with an ok pair of speakers that'll be ok though.

Heavymental, Aug 18, 2007
  5. Heavymental

Heavymental

Hmmm...picked it up and the receiver is showing an error message. It says, Protection. Apparently some system that cuts the speakers off if there is a problem. Says to let it cool down and try again but if the message remains then it has to go back to a service centre. I took the lid of in the hope of finding a reset button or something but without any luck. Pita but not paid the guy yet so will see if its fixed itself by the morning.

In the meantime...any ideas or shall I just send it back to him?

Heavymental, Aug 28, 2007
  6. Heavymental

zanash

Check theres no short between the speaker posts .....speaker leads ...speaker connections, a short here will often kick the protection in

if you have a headphones use those to see if the amps actually doing anything ....

zanash, Aug 29, 2007
  7. Heavymental

Heavymental

Hmm, I'll have a look but the error message was up...and hence the whole unit was unresponsive, when I turned it on before I'd connected the speakers. I'll have another look when I get home just to check theres nothing in around the speaker circuitry.

Heavymental, Aug 29, 2007
  8. Heavymental

Heavymental

Hmm...disturbing development. I plugged the headphones in and fired up the CD player. All I get is a metronomic popping/beeping sound. Elements of the cd could be heard in the background but it was all fked up. When I turn it to phono the popping/beeping goes a bit higher pitched. Funnily enough when I turn the volume up the sound gets quieter and vice versa.

Sounds a bit fked eh!?

Heavymental, Aug 29, 2007
  9. Heavymental

zanash

I had a look but I don't have a service manual for that unit .....so I'm equally in the dark ...

could be worth finding a tame dealer to give it the once over ...but if the repairs are going to be £100 ish then it may not be worth the effort to repair.

zanash, Aug 30, 2007
  10. Heavymental

Heavymental

Thanks for that Zanash.
    I haven't paid the guy yet as he's away so I think I'll just give him the receiver back and source something that works from ebay. The whole lot was only £35 so its not really worth spending time and money getting it fixed I don't think. Especially as its only some plastic faced unit...don't think its anything special.

Heavymental, Aug 30, 2007
  11. Heavymental

SCIDB Moderator

Hi,

Just give it back. Seeing that you haven't paid for it, tell him it is faulty. It's a good job you got to try it before you bought it.

SCIDB

SCIDB, Aug 30, 2007
  12. Heavymental

Heavymental

Quite funny end to all this. I emailed him to tell him the problem and he gave me a ring saying he'd had the problem before and what I had to do was give it a hard tap just above the on/off switch on the front of the amp. Ok says I, I'll give it a go. Went home and sure enough, gave it a knock and the error message dissapeared, cue music! Bit strange but he said it had happened a few times before, first time he took it back and got it fixed under warranty, second time he got angry with it and gave it a smack and it started working so a stroke of luck really! The good old 'give it a smack' technique works again!

Heavymental, Sep 9, 2007
Ask a Question