Quite spritely for an old timer....

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by la toilette, Nov 15, 2005.

1. la toilette

la toilette Downright stupid

I bought a Quad 33/303 combo this morning (cos it was cheap), and I have to say I'm pleasantly surpised at how nice it sounds! It's punchy in the bass and crisp in the treble; I was enjoying pumping out the White Stripes on it a little earlier, it sounded quite powerful on my big Tannoys. It hasn't got the fluidity and sense of space of my Copland valve amp, but it's a little cracking little setup for £90!

I may keep it as a bedroom number.... :MILD:

la toilette, Nov 15, 2005
  2. la toilette

Neil

I've a 33/303 in my "bedroom" / '70s system. It was the first "real " hi-fi I had. I regret selling the ESL 57s I used with it but don't really have room for them anymore.

It's worth doing the net audio power board upgrade on the 303 - it makes a big difference and involves: taking off the baseplate, unclipping the board, desoldering 4 wires, soldering 4 wires from the new board before clipping it in place and replacing the cover. Even my (very) basic skills were not challenged.

I must admit that I really like listening to the older stuff - things haven't moved on the orders of magnitude we're led to believe.

Neil, Nov 15, 2005
  3. la toilette

la toilette Downright stupid

If I keep it long term I may consider the net audio upgrade (I just looked at their website). I did have a 33/303/FM3 set about 12 months ago that I kept for no more than a week (bought via the local paper for £50!), as it sounded quite lifeless and flat, but having heard this 33/303 I would guess that the other one desperately needed a service! This latest pair is seriously good!

TBH I only bought them as I figured I could play with them for a few hours then sell them on at a profit to fund my LP12 upgrades, but maybe I'll hang on to them a little longer......

la toilette, Nov 15, 2005
  4. la toilette

tones compulsive cantater

I bought a Quad 33/303 in 1980. I still have it, it has never needed any sort of attention and it is in regular use in No.2 system. Like Neil, I put in the Net Audio power board and found it a worthwhile improvement, but to my ears the much more expensive 33 boards brought no improvement at all.

Peter Walker was a genius.

tones, Nov 16, 2005
  5. la toilette

leonard smalls GufmeisterGeneral

As far as I know the beeb are still using the 303 and 405 as amplification for their Post Production dubbing suites, and have been for 20 years or more powering Rogers LS5/8 speakers...
    They're only just being phased out with active Harbeth monitor 40s...

leonard smalls, Nov 16, 2005
Ask a Question