Racking

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by TheCherub, Nov 21, 2010.

1. TheCherub

TheCherub

I'm guessing some people here have the challenge of juggling some reasonably expensive kit with the joys of small people trying to interfere with it. Just wondering what things people have done to stop things getting destroyed by children 'investigating'.

It's not an immediate problem for me, but as I'm looking at possibly getting a custom built rack I want to factor in as many things as possible.

TheCherub, Nov 21, 2010
  2. TheCherub

titian

I never had a problem with that since I have a separate listening room. They new from the beginning what they are allowed to do and what not. My at that time 6 years old son could turn on the whole system and listen to music if he wanted to. My kids had and have a big respect to my system.
    Regarding the second (McIntosh) system in the living room, which is also their "playground", they played like a toy with it. With all those buttons (C32, MCD7007) it was like in a cockpit. Unfortunately the youngest daughter sliped with the roller skates into the Tuner and broke the front panel. Well who cares, it was 30 years old...

Today when they all want to listen to music or watch TV, a DVD or Blu-ray they turn on the McIntosh system.

I have maybe more problems with older people (my guests) touching everything.

titian, Nov 22, 2010
  3. TheCherub

Colin2040

Just read this and I , like Titian, actually introduced my son at about 3/4 and although I didnt let him touch anything I invloved him on occasion into some listening sessions. By 6 he was quite capable of operating the system. When I used valve gear I took his hand and brought it up to the valves to let him understand how hot they wetre and explained what would happen if he touched them. I can honestly say I have never had a problem and at (almost 9) he will ask if he can have a lsiten to his new cd etc.

Colin2040, Nov 22, 2010
  4. TheCherub

rsand I can't feel my toes

I like Colin's approach. Its not a problem I have or hopefully will have, I remember going to someones house and they just had ikea shelves bolted to the walls and 4' off the ground because they couldn't (or didn't want to) control their kids, god help them when they are teenagers experimenting with drugs?

rsand, Nov 22, 2010
  5. TheCherub

Colin2040

It comes from my childhood when my father used to have the positions on the big Grundig Gramaphone "sideboard" marked . If my brother and I used it and didnt have it exactly right when he listened to it we were in trouble. I think most kids if you take the time can understand and learn what to do and not to do. He understands that the main system costs a lot and is not a toy and he now has a system, ipod based in his room . Getting a rack that makes it hard for them to get at could be seen as a challenge?!

Colin2040, Nov 22, 2010
  6. TheCherub

themadhippy seen it done it smokin it

Landmines work quite well,make sure there audio grade though,there also usefull for keeping the pets at a safe distanc,but they do have the downside of reducing the child benefit if not use caredully.Dont be tempted by electric fences,the voltage inverter can cause an audible whine.One final option is a pit barrier,folds flat for storage and keeps most things at bay

themadhippy, Nov 23, 2010
  7. TheCherub

sq225917 Exposer of Foo

My three year old is pretty good. She's always loved music and there's a big selection of spoken word kids stuff on the macbook so she has an interest in the hifi. ;-)

She knows not to touch the record player or my records. And I let her poke out a couple of cheap drivers when she was a bit younger, and pretended that i was upset that she'd broken them, I cried and did the huffed face until she gave me a cuddle because my speakers were broken.

She knew I was pretending, but she understands that I'd break every tiny little bone in her fragile body if she ever touched any of it... ;-)

sq225917, Nov 23, 2010
Ask a Question