Radio Interference

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Andrewxyz, Feb 22, 2005.

1. Andrewxyz

Andrewxyz

I recently added an old AR EB-101 turntable to my system. Since then I've been picking up radio signals from what seem to be the police!

I live a short distance from the local transmitter. I get clear but low volume speech when music isn't playing. Fortunately I can't hear it when it is but it must be there and can't be doing any good.

As it only happens when the amp is set to the turntable setting I can only assume that the unshielded cables (hardwired) between the turntable & phono stage are acting as an antennae. I've moved them away from my own antennae feed but it makes no difference.

Can anyone make a simple suggestion to eliminate this ?

Wrap the cables in tin foil ?

Blow up the transmitter or ask them politely not to use it between 6pm & midnight ?

Move ?

Cheers

Andrew

Andrewxyz, Feb 22, 2005
  2. Andrewxyz

Anex Thermionic

No it won't be the cables. Is the tonearm properly grounded to the phono stage? Do you get any noise when you put your hand near the arm?

Anex, Feb 22, 2005
  3. Andrewxyz

snowflake Former Albino Ape

I believe the word you were looking for is "classic" - not "old" :)

S

PS Sorry I cant help with the intefernce, I get obscure german stations through mine under certain weather conditions!!

snowflake, Feb 23, 2005
  4. Andrewxyz

Anex Thermionic

That sort of thing is usually a grounding issue. Make sure your TT, tonearm and phono stage are all properly earthed. Otherwise the cantilever and arm tube etc. can act as an aerial.

Anex, Feb 23, 2005
  5. Andrewxyz

themadhippy seen it done it smokin it

get yer cables screened,the cable and pick up are acting like a nice tuned circuit,the preamp is acting like a crystal set and decoding the signal,pass this into a power amp and voila radio watever the tunned freuency of the cable length ect ,the pick up coil is the tuning coil ,the signal cable the aerial,the cable and input capacitance the tunning capacitor and the first semiconductor the rectifercation/decoding stage,the power amp the headphones

Attached Files:

themadhippy, Feb 23, 2005
  6. Andrewxyz

Gaffer74

would snap on ferrite rings over the cables at the component end help at all?....

..ps themadhippy...that is the funniest avatar I've ever seen :D .....excellent

Gaffer74, Feb 23, 2005
  7. Andrewxyz

Anex Thermionic

The fact its happening suggests another problem though doesn't it, screening the cables just masks it. I've seen plenty of unscreened cables used which haven't had the problem.

Anex, Feb 23, 2005
Ask a Question