Random thread deletions

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by michaelab, Sep 22, 2003.

1. michaelab

michaelab desafinado

Recently a couple of threads have simply "disappeared" from the forum without trace :( The problem is due to a MySQL database bug causing corruption which was introduced with v4.0.12 and fixed in v4.0.15. The ZeroGain host is currently on 4.0.14 and as yet I've no word from them on when they will upgrade :mad:

Whenever it happens I get e-mailed an error with the thread ID and I can usually reconstruct the thread (the actual posts are still left in the database) but it's a relatively involved manual process which I won't always be able to do in a timely manner due to work commitments.

So far it's happened 4 times that I know of. I realise that it's immensely frustrating (for me aswell as everyone else), especially if the thread has a number of posts on it. I'm doing my best to get the host to upgrade the database software but please bear with me in the mean time. I'll keep you all posted.

NB: Neither I nor the other moderators will deliberately delete a thread unless it has got totally out of order (personal insult match etc) and even then it will usually be moved to the "Kindergarten" instead.

Michael.

michaelab, Sep 22, 2003
  2. michaelab

zanash

Thank's for your help over my posting problem.

I seem for the moment to have solved it by using a different browser [netscape 6].

But thanks again

Z.

zanash, Sep 23, 2003
  3. michaelab

amazingtrade Mad Madchestoh fan

I am sure most people won't mind if they loose a thread. We are greatful to for providing this resource in the first place.

I know it must take ages reconstructing a thread from database records so maybe people should save a long thread as a TXT file first so of it gets lost it will be easy to repost.

amazingtrade, Sep 23, 2003
  4. michaelab

michaelab desafinado

Thanks AT. No, it's not that tricky to reconstruct the thread. The posts are all still preserved in the "post" database table, it's just that the thread record has been deleted from the "thread" table.

All I have to do is re-insert the correct thread record manually. Trouble is I have to get some of the fields like "number of replies", "last time posted", "thread starter" etc right.

Once the thread record is back, it magically reappears on the board.

Michael.

michaelab, Sep 24, 2003
  5. michaelab

michaelab desafinado

Just an update - my host appears to have upgraded my database to MySQL 4.0.15a - which is nice :)

I don't know exactly when that happened but in the last couple of days there haven't been any issues - lets hope that's the end of it and I hope I haven't tempted fate by speaking too soon.....

Michael.

michaelab, Oct 8, 2003
  6. michaelab

johnhunt recidivist

i put a thread together this morning, frankly it wasn't that interesting as I know little about hifi aside from that I have one. either way it seems to have removed.

johnhunt, Oct 20, 2003
  7. michaelab

michaelab desafinado

I got an error msg about that - it's back again (in the DIY forum where I guessed it had been?)

Clearly the latest database software update has not cured the problem :mad: Time to get in touch with my host again I think...

Michael.

michaelab, Oct 20, 2003
  8. michaelab

cookiemonster

Just FYI Michael - occasionally a page won't load and instead i get this message - don't know if it is of any use, or indeed, if it's even connected to this problem:

.............................................................................................

Warning: Can't connect to MySQL server on 'db185.oneandone.co.uk' (111) in /homepages/44/d72275657/htdocs/forum/admin/db_mysql.php on line 38

Warning: MySQL Connection Failed: Can't connect to MySQL server on 'db185.oneandone.co.uk' (111) in /homepages/44/d72275657/htdocs/forum/admin/db_mysql.php on line 38

There seems to have been a slight problem with the database.
    Please try again by pressing the refresh button in your browser.

An E-Mail has been dispatched to our Technical Staff, who you can also contact if the problem persists.

We apologise for any inconvenience.

cookiemonster, Oct 21, 2003
  9. michaelab

michaelab desafinado

Dino - thanks for that. Those "connection problem" errors seem to be quite frequent but as far as I know are harmless and unconnected to the database corruption.

I've never seen a connection problem myself but I get the e-mails so I know when they occur.

Michael.

michaelab, Oct 21, 2003
  10. michaelab

themadhippy seen it done it smokin it

nice to see a caring moderator,unlike the shower that are supposed to keep the other place running,and i'll bet there geting payed for it,

themadhippy, Oct 21, 2003
  11. michaelab

dunkyboy

Michael, just had my "£6-700 speakers suggestions" thread deleted, right after posting a fairly long, involved report of the Scottish Hifi & Home Cinema Show..! :cry:

I understand it's a pain in the ass fixing these bugs. I've had a fair bit of experience with MySQL m'self, and would be happy to give you a hand maintaining the board if you felt it was getting to be too much. Just let me know. ;)

Dunc

dunkyboy, Nov 3, 2003
  12. michaelab

dat19 blind test terrorist

Michael, perhaps you should just pull out Dunkboy's last post into a new thread (where it belongs).

If you pull the whole thread out, the forum will forever be contaminated with the word "Mackie" and I will have to continue my tutorial on frequency response and room acoustics, which will upset most of the forum :)

dat19, Nov 3, 2003
  13. michaelab

michaelab desafinado

I've recovered the thread :) It's a lot easier now since I wrote a little PHP script to do it :MILD:

Still, no idea why it happens :(

Michael.

michaelab, Nov 3, 2003
  14. michaelab

dunkyboy

That's the h4x0r spirit! :D I think we should call you Michael "l33t" Ab from now on. :cool:

Or not........

Dunc

dunkyboy, Nov 3, 2003
  15. michaelab

michaelab desafinado

What would really be cool is if I could hack the vBulletin script that sends out the "database error" mailings to me to automatically recover the thread.... ;)

It shouldn't be too tricky as the error number (so I know it's a thread corrupt problem instead of just a harmless connection issue) and threadid are available in the errror message. I'll have to give it a shot when I get a moment :MILD:

Michael.

michaelab, Nov 3, 2003
  16. michaelab

dunkyboy

Oh baby, now you're talkin'! :D

dunkyboy, Nov 3, 2003
  17. michaelab

sideshowbob Trisha

:cry:

Michael, my thread about phono RFI problems has just disappeared...

Help!

-- Ian

sideshowbob, Nov 6, 2003
  18. michaelab

michaelab desafinado

Back again now :)
    Michael.

michaelab, Nov 6, 2003
  19. michaelab

sideshowbob Trisha

Blimey, that was quick. Cheers!

-- Ian

sideshowbob, Nov 6, 2003
  20. michaelab

michaelab desafinado

Right - had another chat with the guys at vBulletin and it appears this problem is actually only fixed with MySQL version 4.0.16, not 4.0.15 as previously though :rolleyes:

I've asked my host to upgrade to 4.0.16 so let's see what happens. Last time I asked them to upgrade to 4.0.15 and they said "No" and then promptly did it anyway!

Michael.

michaelab, Nov 7, 2003
Ask a Question