Rated Tradesmen - any good?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by lhatkins, Jul 27, 2006.

1. lhatkins

lhatkins Dazed and Confused

Hi

I'm looking to have my garage roof replacing and flicking through the yellow pages, you really can't be sure what numpty your going to get by ringing the companies in there. I've asked about but I'm not confident with the replies I'm getting.

A quick google search gave me This site, which seems to have a good idea at least, has anyone used it?

It seems to send your job details to "approved" trades people who then contact you about the work, you choose your trades person they do the work and you rate them, sounds a good idea in principle and if it works great.

Anyway bit of a long shot I know, but anyone use it, or any similar service, or kow a way to vet, potential workmen?

This shouldn't be an expensive job, its its any more then £500 I'll do it my bl00dy self (it can't leak any worse than it is at the moment!).

lhatkins, Jul 27, 2006
  2. lhatkins

amazingtrade Mad Madchestoh fan

Get references, check companies house to see if the company exists (if its LTD), check the trading address exists, check how long they have been in business, ask about their qualifications.

Most tradesmen are very honest in my opinion, you aways get a few bad ones which spoil it for the rest of us.

Also it might cost you a bit, you're looking at £150 minimum labour per person per day plus materials.

amazingtrade, Jul 27, 2006
  3. lhatkins

la toilette Downright stupid

Good in theory, but how many people have time to actually do this? Where do you get all this info from? The best way to find a good tradesman is by personal recommendation IMO.

That site looks good in theory, but tradesmen pay to be on there, so I'm immediately suspicious. If it was a free service based upon customer feedback then I'd be happier.

If my recent experiences are anything to go by, 90% of tradesmen are simply not skilled or bothered enough to do a good job. If you can do it yourself, then do so.

la toilette, Jul 28, 2006
  4. lhatkins

lhatkins Dazed and Confused

Exactly, don't really have the time to research the info, and not that I would know where to go to find it.
    This is why I thought a site like this would be good, but yes like you say the trades people pay to be on there. I have emailed them to ask what their vetting procedures are, not that I'm expecting a reply.
    But if there was a site like this that also included decent and thorough checking of the trades people they'll list then that would work, so they do the leg work for you.
    There was another site I found SafeTrades but they don't seem to operate in our area :(

I can't see it being a hard job, grind off the old fixings, remove the old roof, 6 of 8x4 marine ply sheets, roofing felt and glue, should do the job, can't see it taking more than a day for a qualified and expeienced roofer, I just don't fancy climbing around on a roof!

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2006
    lhatkins, Jul 28, 2006
  5. lhatkins

amazingtrade Mad Madchestoh fan

www.companieshouse.gov.uk - check if that company is LTD and find out where there registered office is

www.maps.google.com - type in the post code and see if their address really exists.

Also there is a site you can check corgi registrations for gas men (guessing corgi.org.uk or co.uk)

amazingtrade, Jul 30, 2006
Ask a Question