Rattle And Hum????

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by banpe2006, Nov 9, 2007.

1. banpe2006

banpe2006

Why does my cd player create lots of huuuummmmmmm through my speakers?....It does this when i switch my pre amp onto the mains to charge.....Please keep replies very simple as i havent a clue about sciency stuff and certainly not whether its earthed or not etc....The hum is definately the cdp, because when it s off theres no hum at all...I use zanashs silver speaker cable and interconnects and mains leads ( a plug for you Z!), the mains leads covered in white placcy and the speaker cables in cotton.....any ideas or fixes...cheers banpe

banpe2006, Nov 9, 2007
  2. banpe2006

rollo

You could have a ground loop problem. How is your system grounded? Is your CDP a two prong or three prong plug? Some basic info needed here to help.
    For now you can experiment. First you can try lifting ground of CDP if its grounded.Then try revervsing polarity of plug. Do it with each component until its gone. If all that effort dosn't pay off try a different pair of ICs.
    Good luck.

rollo

rollo, Nov 9, 2007
  3. banpe2006

dreftar

I reckon it is a ground loop problem between your pre-amp charger and your CDP - one or the other isn't earthed; or the charger is earthing through the CDP or vice versa - make sure each is earthed to the same point.

dreftar, Nov 9, 2007
  4. banpe2006

banpe2006

its a 3 pin plug on all my gear apart from the pre, which has a little round connector with lots of little holes and pins.....thanks for the help, but how do i earth to the same point? what do i do?

banpe2006, Nov 10, 2007
Ask a Question