RB300 setup

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by penance, Aug 25, 2003.

1. penance

penance Arrogant Cock

Does anyone have an RB300 manual in electronic format that they could mail me?
    I tried the one place online that had it, needed to sign up to obtain it, they arent takeing new signups:rolleyes:
    failing that a brief description would be great:)

penance, Aug 25, 2003
  2. penance

themadhippy seen it done it smokin it

themadhippy, Aug 25, 2003
  3. penance

penance Arrogant Cock

yep
    no luck there

penance, Aug 25, 2003
  4. penance

zanash

The basics are the same for most arms, which bit are you needing help with ?

Have you got the measurments [spindle to pivot] offset and overhangs, that sort of thing or are you needing to know how to set the tracking weights and anti skate.

zanash, Aug 25, 2003
  5. penance

penance Arrogant Cock

well i got some info from the OL site
    ive made my armboard so as the spindle to arm distance is around 222mm
    I have a free protractor jobby, i think that helps set over hang?
    i assume the dial on the tonearm pivot is for rough weight adjustment?
    the anti skate is slide on the arm support?
    i found the manual but no diagrams

penance, Aug 25, 2003
  6. penance

zanash

I need to do some research on the Rb300 so bear with me.

The protractor is used toset up the cart. rather than the arm.

Fit the arm at the pivot spindle length this needs to be pretty acurate.

turn the arm assembly so that its about tangential to the platter and make certain it can swing out across the lp ok, if its done it easily you can turn the arm out a bit. You need to get the arm's arc in the middle of its travel, ie in the middle of the lp the arm should be perpendicular to the fixed gimble. Put the arm back to the safe possiton and then screw the pilar nut hand tight, dress the cables so they do not mess with the suspension or anything else.
    Fit cart loosly half way in the headshell slots, position the weight so that its vertually balanced when out of the safe/locked position, moving the counter weight in will make the tracking heavier. Apply just enough weight so that the arm will sink to the lp and protractor.

If you Know this ignore the rest.

Make certain that the arm is parallel to the lp surface, need shims for the RB300 ?.

hold the arm off the protractor and make the cart body parallel to the lines at the first position then swing arm to second position and adjust for best fit, swing back to pos one see haw far out it is. Slide cart. forward and get the best fit if worse slide cart the other way. This normally give you endless hours of pleasure !!

There are other methods but I keep coming back to this one.

zanash, Aug 25, 2003
  7. penance

sideshowbob Trisha

Correct on both counts. Do you have a tracking gauge? If not it's worth investing in one (there's a cheapish Shure one that does the job, about £25).

Once you have the cart aligned, etc, remove the stylus guard (if it has one), set both dials to zero and adjust the counterweight so the arm is in balance (you might want to have a record on the platter at this point, but not one you care about damaging). Then twist the counterweight until you get the tracking weight you're after, and set the antiskate dial appropriately.

I suggest using a tracking gauge because it's much more accurate. If you use one, you can ignore the counterweight dial completely, just leave it set at zero and use the gauge to set the counterweight position.

-- Ian

sideshowbob, Aug 25, 2003
  8. penance

penance Arrogant Cock

I may go and get a force gauge today,
    failing that i might try by ear, main thing i want is to check my DIY TT plays;)

penance, Aug 26, 2003
Ask a Question