Rb300?????

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by jimmymcfarrell, Jan 18, 2005.

1. jimmymcfarrell

jimmymcfarrell Anyone fancy a pint?

Hi, really simple question this one...

My P3 starts sounding really nasty towards the end of a disk, and im pretty sure the arm needs setting up. The deck has been moved a couple of times so im guessing this is the answer
    Trouble is I did it once when new, and have now completly forgotten what to do. If someone can remind me it would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 18, 2005
    jimmymcfarrell, Jan 18, 2005
  2. jimmymcfarrell

Saab

turn the little round knob to 0,and the dial on the arm to zero.Turn the arm to its full height and put it in the middle of the plate.Then move the dial until its at the carts rec weight,if you don't know use 1.5 as a guide.then move the knob towards its max until the arm starts to move outwards slowly

try that

if it doesn't work,buy a six pack and guess

Saab, Jan 18, 2005
  3. jimmymcfarrell

Goomer

I found this really useful when I first started installing cartridges on my own deck. Can't remember if it's mentioned in the article or not, and you've probably already done this, but don't forget to get the deck/platter dead level before starting:

http://www.audiophilia.com/features/cartridge_setup.htm

Hope it's of use, and good luck with it,

Chris.

Goomer, Jan 18, 2005
  4. jimmymcfarrell

ListeningEar

This sounds like a classic case of the cartridge not being in alignment. It was always a simple test on basic TT setup that if the end of the vinyl sounded harsh when at the beginning it was OK, your cart. needs re-aligning.

Have you got a cart protractor etc.?

ListeningEar, Jan 18, 2005
  5. jimmymcfarrell

yes, somewhere, but I have no idea how to use it!!!
    The cart was fitted in the shop when it was new and I cant see how it can possibly have moved. I can understand that the weights on the arm may have moved slightly as the deck has been moved, but surley this cant effect the cart as well.

jimmymcfarrell, Jan 19, 2005
  6. jimmymcfarrell

de'Kev

http://www.tonearm.co.uk/tonearm_installation_instructions.pdf This is taken from the origin live website.

http://www.enjoythemusic.com/freestuff.htm At the bottom of the page there is a free cartridge protractor for you to download and print.

Somewhere on the web there is a full setup, theoretical guide to setting up tonearms and cartridges, but I can't remember where. :mad:

One dodge I found , origin live I think, is at the end of the record the run off area has a wide gap between the groove "guides". If you drop the stylus in the middle of the run off before it gets "picked up" by the groove edge the stylus should gently drift into the centre of its own accord. If it moves out then set a lower antiskating, if it moves quickly to the centre set more antiskating.

regards
    Kev

de'Kev, Jan 19, 2005
  7. jimmymcfarrell

domfjbrown live & breathe psy-trance

...and if you're going to remove the cartridge, either take the arm off the deck or use Rega's special torgue wrench or you'll stuff the bearings in the RB300.

domfjbrown, Jan 19, 2005
  8. jimmymcfarrell

so the arm needs to be removed to replace the cart.....????????? whys that, its just a couple of screws, the arm won't be affected, surley?

also wouldnt you have to take the wire out before removing the arm? because unless there is a load of slack inside the arm it wont reach and the wire would be getting stretched if you were to move the arm away from the deck.

thought it was going to be easy, but no........

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 19, 2005
    jimmymcfarrell, Jan 19, 2005
  9. jimmymcfarrell

this still makes no sense.

why do you have to take the arm off

how can the cart. have moved - it sounded okay when its was new, why would it ever need re aligning?

Please please please tell me in simple terms how to align my cart. Surley lowering the needle on to a protractor isnt going to do it any good? Im confused and fed up because i cant listen to vinyl and also cant sort it out!

Cheers

jimmymcfarrell, Jan 25, 2005
  10. jimmymcfarrell

My name is Ron It is, it really is

Jimmy,

Relax. Aligning a cartridge is a minor nuisance at worst, and is easily achievable by even the most ham-fisted. You shouldn't need to remove the arm, assuming it hasn't been knocked out of whack. Just gently loosen the screws on the cartridge, lower the needle onto the protractor (as long as you take it easy, there's little danger of damaging the stylus) and adjust the position of the cartridge until it conforms to the markings on the protractor. Once you're happy, tighten up the screws –*but not too tight. Then reset your tracking force and anti-skate bias. It's as simple that. If you find yourself getting flustered, go and have a cup of tea, then take up where you left off. If it doesn't solve the problem, then at least you've eliminated cartridge aligment as the culprit.

My name is Ron, Jan 25, 2005
  11. jimmymcfarrell

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

Just a test for the oldies - especially old Linn/Naim people.

I remember reading a reference once that said ''theres tight and theres Linn tight'' - had something to do with cartridge/arm I think. Anyone care to fill in the blank of what they were talking about?

Sorry for the slight thread hi-jack.

bottleneck, Jan 25, 2005
  12. jimmymcfarrell

STILL SCRATCHING MY HEAD / BASHING IT AGAINST THE WALL

DO YOU SET TRACKING FORCE AND BIAS ADJUSTMENT TO THE SAME VALUE?

HOW DO YOU KNOW THIS VALUE. i'M USING A REGA ELYS CART AND ALL I CAN FIND OUT (BOTH FROM THE WEBSITE AND THE INSTRUCTIONS IN THE BOX) IS THAT IT SHOULD BE FITTED BY A REGA DEALER......VERY USEFUL.

WHAT ARE TRACKING FORCE AND BIAS ADJUSTMENT - PHYSICALLY, WHAT DO THEY DO?

IF ANYONE LIVES NEAR PLYMOUTH AND FANCIES GIVING ME A DEMO OF HOW TO SET UP A TUNRTABLE I'LL MAKE IT WORTH THEIR WHILE - ELSE THERES GOING TO BE A PERFECTLY GOOD P3 AND LOADS OF VINYL GOIN IN THE BIN!!!

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 1, 2005
    jimmymcfarrell, Feb 1, 2005
  13. jimmymcfarrell

SCIDB Moderator

Hi Jimmy,

You need to find the alignment protractor for the Rega arm. This will have a hole which goes over the centre spindle. On the protractor are some markings. These are for the alignment. If the cartridge fits it well, it is in alignment. There are a couple of pictures on the protractor showing good & bad alignment.

The Elys has 3 bolts holding it in the arm. This should have the cartridge in alignment. But check any way. Check that the bolts are tight.

Look here for details and follow instructions for setting tracking weight. This is set act 1.75g, set the bias to the same to start off with.

http://www.rega.co.uk/index2.htm Then click on downloads, then click on Rega P3 setup flier.

Check the stylus for dirt and see if the cantilever is straight.

Look here for info on tracking and anti skate (bias).

http://www.users.nac.net/markowitzgd/cartalign.html

I hope this helps, get back to me if you are still stuck

SCIDB

SCIDB, Feb 1, 2005
  14. jimmymcfarrell

it never came with one - will this do the job?

http://www.enjoythemusic.com/freestuff.htm

I can understand what to do, its just there are so many unknown factors involved I'd be guessing most of the time.

jimmymcfarrell, Feb 2, 2005
  15. jimmymcfarrell

Uncle Ants In Recordeo Speramus

It should do yes. Fairly simple to use. I usually start with the cart as far forward as it'll go in the headshell. Align with the outer point so that the sides (or strictly speaking cantilever) and the lines are parallel and then try the inner point. If the outer is aligned but the inner not, then put the cart a tad further back and try again. Its a but fiddly, but pretty accurate. Once you have it lined up corretly, alignment and overhang should be correct.

Uncle Ants, Feb 2, 2005
  16. jimmymcfarrell

erm.....the elys sides are not parallel, it gets thinner towards the front. aligning it within two parallel lines is therefore impossible....or am i being stupid

17. jimmymcfarrell

just tried to align it.

the sides of the cart are not parallel (with each other) and therefore will never line up with the lines on the protractor. If anything I've just made it worse.

Anyone want a P3, about 400 records and a VPI cleaning machine because Im just gonna listen to CDs from now on.

18. jimmymcfarrell

on a slightly more sensible note; shouldnt all carts be designed with parallel sides to make alignment remotely possible?????
    I now see why the bloke in the shop I bought it from (Audio Excellence in Exeter) said it was okay to just slap it on a align it by eye - because its actually impossible to do it any other way.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 2, 2005
  19. jimmymcfarrell

SCIDB Moderator

Hi Jimmy,

Alignment should be easy with this cartridge because it has 3 bolts. Is your cartridge bolted to the headshell with 3 bolts? This should give it a solid fitting.

Not all cartridges have parallel sides. Most do.

SCIDB

SCIDB, Feb 2, 2005
  20. jimmymcfarrell

Uncle Ants In Recordeo Speramus

Hmm. But they should :rolleyes: . I didn't realise the Rega cart was that hard to align, but presumably you are right ... if the Rega cart has three bolts that line up with the holes on the Rega arm its built for, then presumably it can't be aligned in the sense of adjusting alignment. It just IS aligned when you bolt it on ... but that doesn't tally with what Jimmy is saying :confused:

Uncle Ants, Feb 3, 2005
Ask a Question