Re-tipping Help.

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by nando, Nov 10, 2010.

1. nando

nando nando

hi guys, i am looking to have an AUDIO TECHNICA ATO-C10 cartridge re-tipped, on where or who and price, i apreciate your help,
    regards,
    nando.

nando, Nov 10, 2010
  2. nando

Shuggie

The obvious choice is Expert Stylus Company, who have my AT33PTG and Kontrapunkt B cartridges in for retipping at the moment. They are so busy that they operate a booking in system, so I'd e-mail them first at info @ expertstylus dot co dot uk. It's quite a slow process but the quality of their work is said to be the best.

Shuggie, Nov 10, 2010
  3. nando

Chris

I've never heard of your cartridge and have no idea of its value but FWIW a mate of mine has just had his Goldring Elite or Excel, I can't remember, retipped by Soundsmith in the States and a new "ruby" cantilever - all for 150 euros , I think he said. He says it sounds great and service was good.

Chris, Nov 10, 2010
  4. nando

alphatoner

Another vote for soundsmith, great job for about £100 a basic retip, but like expert stylus very slow to get to the top of the queue.

http://www.sound-smith.com/retip/

alphatoner, Nov 10, 2010
  5. nando

Cable Monkey

Goldring offer a full rebuild service for any moving coil cartridge, and their prices are supposedly very good. Beats long waiting lists or posting across the Atlantic.

Cable Monkey, Nov 10, 2010
  6. nando

nando nando

soundsmith are quoting 6 to 24 weeks to do, ay one quicker in the uk?

nando, Nov 10, 2010
  7. nando

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

nando - expert stylus took about 2 weeks to put a new diamond on my cart, only a month or so ago.

I think the ''takes ages'' thing depends on exactly what you're askin them to do - for example full cartridge rebuild or diamond replacement.

cheers

bottleneck, Nov 10, 2010
  8. nando

nando nando

diamond and counter lever chris,

nando, Nov 10, 2010
  9. nando

kt66

Robert , you always seem like a knowledable guy, can't believe you haven't heard of
    or dealt with Wyndam before.

Just get in the queue, allow at least 4 weeks, a few frantic phone calls, some serious attitude from Wyndham, then after you've given up all hope he will send you back a superbly retipped Cart that will probably sound better than ever,

ESC drive me mad, but eventually come up with the goods, now the UK needs a rival to keep him on his toes.

KT66
    Windmill Hill

kt66, Nov 10, 2010
  10. nando

nando nando

AGREE,cartridge man was poor with my at oc9 sounded horrible,

nando, Nov 10, 2010
  11. nando

kt66

Len is just an agent for ESC, despite what he says he doesn't do retips himself.*

So ESC did yours!

*or so I have been told

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 10, 2010
    kt66, Nov 10, 2010
  12. nando

RobHolt Moderator

Depends what you want.

The best ATs MCs use a Micro Line stylus profile.
    If you want to retain the substantial benefits - and they are substantial - then other 'line contact' tips, other than possibly the best VDH don't quite do it IMO.

It might be worth just buying an OC9, the new PTG/2 or the original PTG if you can find one.

RobHolt, Nov 10, 2010
  13. nando

rednose66

Nando, a new OC9 MK II just cost me £270 from the States. ESC quoted me more than that to rebuild my previous OC9. Plus to be very honest I got the impression from the bloke @ ESC I spoke to that they considered run of the mill cartridges like the OC9 to be hardly worth their expertise.

I would have thought that a newer OC9 would be as good - probably better - than the original OC10?

rednose66, Nov 10, 2010
  14. nando

RobHolt Moderator

The performance is far from run of the mill IMO.
    AT are a huge company compared to those making many of the exotic and highly priced designs on the market. Economies of scale, automation and tooling that has long since paid for itself mean these cartridges are as good as anything if you want accuracy - if you want something that is effectively a tone of effects device their are some pricey models around that will perform that function.

RobHolt, Nov 10, 2010
  15. nando

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

If you've spent £1,000 on a Lyra, its certainly worth a couple of hundred to get it fixed every few years when its worn down.

At the other end of the spectrum, I was quoted £25, £85 or £120 to retip my moving magnet. Its a £600 ish MM, so obviously was well worth it.

Varying prices depended on diamond to be fitted.

bottleneck, Nov 10, 2010
  16. nando

flatpopely Trade - AudioFlat

I had an OC9 MLII and got it for £160. A huge upgrade from my G1042. THEN I got a Troika and although it was tired it was better in every way than the OC9 other than tracking ability. I sent the Troika to ESC and the Paratrace tip revitalised the cart and gave it 90% of the OC9 tracking ability.

ESC know their stuff!

flatpopely, Nov 11, 2010
  17. nando

RobHolt Moderator

I like the ESC (yours in fact) Troika better than the Standard cartridge, but was never a big fan of it. Its a bit characterful for me - I like my vinyl sounding like good digital.
    The ATs are someties described as a bit cool and flat. I hear that as neutrality.
    The system is clearly a big factor in choice though.

RobHolt, Nov 11, 2010
Ask a Question